Problem with Office 2008 for Mac Update 12.3.2

Reaction score
Hello, my wife had not updated her Office 2008 for Mac in a while. She installed critical update 12.3.2 on OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard) and suddenly all Office programs stopped working. Does anyone know if there are any problems between older OSXs (such as Leopard) and this critical update?

-for info: machine restarted several times. Also, once I had re-installed Office 2008 for Mac again, and got it to work, I tried to re-download and re-install the 12.3.2 update... once installed, Office stopped working again. I've re-re-installed Office again and am NOT updating.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The likely problem you're having is described by Microsoft:

Prerequisites

Before you install the Office 2008 12.3.2 Update, make sure that the computer is running Mac OS X 10.4.9 (Tiger) or a later version of the Mac OS X operating system.

To verify that the computer meets this prerequisite, click About This Mac on the Apple menu.

Additionally, you must install the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.0 Update before you install the Office 2008 for Mac 12.3.2 Update.

If you haven't been updating MS Office 2008 (which you admitted to) then the security update 12.3.2 is not going work. Unfortunately, the Microsoft updates for Mac Office are cumulative but must be applied in order.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you

I really appreciate the quick response. I will try this. It also explains why my machine (which I do update rather frequently) did not have the same problem... cordially -LPS

OP
D
Reaction score
no-go..

Hello again,

it's very strange: the re-install of Office 2008 from the original DVD is relatively old, but when I try to do updates (automatically) it only gives me the latest 12.3.2 update as a choice. I went onto the Microsoft website and they have 12.1.0 update and 12.2.0 update available as well. I downloaded the 2.0 update but it tells me that the program it needs to update is not on the hardrive [which obviously it is]. I took that to mean that the previous update [1.0] was not installed, so I downloaded that and tried to update that way first... same 'no program found' error message. The only update that does allow me to update to is 3.2... and I'm not going to do it since it causes Office to crash.

We are deciding if we want to re-start with Office 2011 for Mac or just stay without updates (for my wife).

Any comments/recommendations are welcomed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We are deciding if we want to re-start with Office 2011 for Mac or just stay without updates (for my wife).

Somehow the updater for 2008 is not working correctly. It should pick up the updates in order and allow you to install them one by one. Anyway, I believe that updating to Office 2011 is probably best. I have both Office 2008 (installed on an older MacBook) and Office 2011 installed on my newer iMac.

Office 2011 is much superior to 2008 and macro capability has been put back into the program. If you do decide to go with Office 2011 for your wife, completely uninstall Office 2008 as it will cause problems with 2011 - even though Microsoft says otherwise.

I bought the Office 2011 three install pack of Home and Business. It includes Word, PPoint, Excel, and Outlook. Very nice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.