Updating Hard Drive

Reaction score
I own a Black Macbook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive. I bought it 07' its an 06' model I believe. But I want to replace the Hard drive, something bigger cause I am almost out of space. The hard drive I currently have in there is the Fujitsu Mhy2250bh Media. I need to know what hard drive out there will support this labtop without screwing up the rest of my laptop. I would just like a straigh answer as the exact Type, Model and a link to where it's sold if possiable. Thanks.

Reaction score
All hard drives made to fit in a notebook computer will work. They are 2.5 by 9.5-12.5mm

Seagate, Hitachi will work just fine. There have been some report of some Western Digital model drives not functioning correctly with some Mac notebook computers so I would not suggest you look at any of those.

You will need to CLONE your original drive to the NEW drive before you install it inside the notebook. You do that with cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. I have used bot and actually like SuperDuper better, but either will work.

You will need to connect the new drive to the notebook with a SATA to USB adapter of some type, whether an enclosure or just an adapter.

Once you have the adapter or enclosure, the new drive and you have installed the cloning software connect the new drive to one of the USB ports and open Disk Utility. Partitioon and format the new drive with one partition and the format of Mac Extended (Journaled) and make sure the Partition Table is set to GUID (you do that from the Options button). Once that is done exit out of DU and start the cloning software. Clone from the internal to the external drive.

Then once that is done take the MBP apart and switch out the drives. It should boot off the new internal drive. But if it doesn't then at startup hold down the Option key and select the new drive to boot from. Then go into Startup Disk and make sure that new drive is selected as the Startup Disk.

Reaction score
Can I use the Disk utility for cloning the internal hard disk? instead I use disk utility image?:\:\

Reaction score
You can try. Some say using the Restore feature works but I have never had good luck using either the Image feature or the Restore feature for moving the OS from one drive to another.

I always get Image failed to restore, disk is in use (or some similar BS) and just about the same when trying to clone one to another using the Restore feature.

I have never had carbon copy cloner or superduper fail to move the OS from one drive to another.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
which is better enclosure or adapter for owc ssd drive ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

If it isn't eSATA (or Thunderbolt), I wouldn't put an SSD in an external enclosure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
If it isn't eSATA (or Thunderbolt), I wouldn't put an SSD in an external enclosure.
what would you do to copy the 'old' internal drive to ssd ? as the new ssd has to get an exact copy of old drive that is in the mbp.

Reaction score

Personally I like Adapters better then enclosures for this type of thing. If I'm buying a REAL external drive then I buy a complete unit, enclosure with drive.

With an adapter you can easily move it from drive to drive as you like. With an enclosure you have to remove one drive then install the other.

Adapter also allow you to use most any type of drive whether 3.5 or 2.5 and or SATA or IDE. You can also use them on 5.5 Optical drives as they have an external power supply.

Reaction score
what would you do to copy the 'old' internal drive to ssd ? as the new ssd has to get an exact copy of old drive that is in the mbp.

I think he hasn't read the complete thread. As his comment isn't in keeping with what you are trying to do.

He is thinking you are buying an adapter or enclosure to use AS AN External drive system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I think he hasn't read the complete thread. As his comment isn't in keeping with what you are trying to do.

He is thinking you are buying an adapter or enclosure to use AS AN External drive system.
my goal is to get the whole 'old' internal drive over to 'new' ssd drive and install the ssd to macbook pro. at least what is needed to copy to ssd for start ? enclosure or adapter or what ? I know I would just use the mbp for surfing net and store some pics. that is it.
using 128gb ssd to replace 320gb hard drive is it a good idea? i still need the dvd drive though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
shootist,
my goal is to get the ssd drive in sync with internal hard drive, and put the ssd drive to mbp, what in your opinion is need ? sorry for being so naive. I do not want to replace the dvd drive with second hard drive.

Reaction score
shootist,
my goal is to get the ssd drive in sync with internal hard drive, and put the ssd drive to mbp, what in your opinion is need ? sorry for being so naive. I do not want to replace the dvd drive with second hard drive.

Like I suggested. Buy an adapter or an enclosure, that is up to you.
Then use one of the cloning programs I posted to Clone the original internal to the SSD drive and then to check Boot the computer from the SSD connected by USB to make sure it works. Then install the SSD in the computer.

If you buy a Enclosure make sure it is for 2.5, notebook size, drives and not 3.5 desktop size drives. Although you could install a notebook size drive in the bigger enclosure for the purpose you are using it for.

The one thing you can do with the correct size enclosure is after you do the transfer and install you could install your original in that enclosure and use it as an external drive. You can do the same with an adapter also but it would not be a One Piece Unit.

Reaction score
shootist,
I do not want to replace the dvd drive with second hard drive.

Correct and I never thought you did. The steps I gave are for Replacing the Original drive with another. Whether that drive is a SSD or a standard Hard Drive.

Not sure where you thought I was suggesting to replace the Optical drive. I wasn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Correct and I never thought you did. The steps I gave are for Replacing the Original drive with another. Whether that drive is a SSD or a standard Hard Drive.

Not sure where you thought I was suggesting to replace the Optical drive. I wasn't.
you are exactly right. just original drive is to be replaced.
what is involve with 'Boot the computer from the SSD connected by USB to make sure it works' you mentioned in your previous post ?
thanks you have been most helpful.

Reaction score
To select a drive to boot from you hold down the Option/Alt key when you turn the system on or reboot the system. As soon as you hear the startup chime hold down the Option/Alt key and you will get a screen that has all the devices that the computer can boot from. Once that has loaded select the SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
enclosure any brand you can recommend ? any GB restriction, i have seen some supported upto 320gb.

Reaction score
No I have no recommendations as far as enclosures go. Never used any that didn't already have a drive inside. I use Adapters because I can then use them on many different types of drives, including Optical drives. Whether IDE or SATA. Bring them with me on house calls to sort out other peoples problems.

Using an enclosure for that isn't logical as I never know what type of drive I'll be working with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.