MacBook Pro and USB

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new here and a bit nervous but hoope someone can help?
I have a MacBookPro and I opened files from a USB. I noticed then that the opened files were no longer on the USB after opening?
I managed to re-open using "Open Recent" in Preview and "Saved A Version" but when I went to put back onto USB it told me I did not have enogh space?

I treied it a few more times and same thing happened every time?

I do not want to open any more from USB as I am afraid I might loose some files as some I think are password protected from a colleague?

I would appreciate any help.

Mick

Reaction score
What formatting is being used on the USB stick or drive?

To my knowledge OS X and or any program that runs on OS X does not Move files when any program or OS X Finder opens them.

At least never on my MBP running Lion.

OP
M
Reaction score
Its bizzarre.

When they disappear, I cannot locate them except to open "Preview" and then "Open Recent" and then save a copy to hard drive but they are no longer on USB and will not go back as it says "not enough space".

This is the format on USB, MS-DOS (FAT32)
Thanks for help.

M

Reaction score
Are you looking at the USB stick with finder?

If so do a refresh of the finder window or close it and reopen another finder window.

OP
M
Reaction score
I opened it from the icon on Desktop. If I take file out of USB and copy to desktop, I can can open there and the file remains which is a way around losing files. But if I open from USB and close, the file is gone from stick. At least I figured how to keep file but strange.
Never happened before.
M

Reaction score
And it should not be happening now. Not sure why it is and have no suggestions on how to stop it.

Question,
Have you rebooted the computer lately? If not give that a try.

Good Luck.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes. I rebooted when the problem arose first but no joy.
Complete mystery but at least I have found a way of stopping losing them.

If USB is saying "not enough space" to copy back in, I might try to split files into 2 sticks and see if it helps.
Thanks for your time.

M

Reaction score
Was that USB stick formatted on a Mac or a PC.

The reason I ask is because I have had problems with drives and USB sticks formatted FAT32 and exFAT when done on Mac computer.

OP
M
Reaction score
I actually don t know? It is a stick belonging to a colleague? He mailed it to me and I just opened it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.