on startup 3 beeps but I shouldn't have RAM problems

Reaction score
Something has happened. Whenever I startup my iMac, the white startup screen with the apple symbol appears as normal. Before long 3 beeps can be heard, again and again.

Apparently, this is a RAM issue, but I don't see why it should be. I just purchased this computer a week ago officially from apple with 4 gigs of RAM preinstalled. It worked fine initially, but there are some things you should know:

I tried to install Microsoft Windows Vista throuogh bootcamp, though my operating system is OSX 10.7 Lion, which isn't compatible with Vista (I didn't know this at the time). So I purchesed a disk of OSX snow leopard from apple so I could erase my operating system and install snow leopard. The result of erasing my OSX lion disk was that I had 3 start-up options with the snow leopard disk inserted when I turned on my computer holding "option".

1: HD Recovery​
2: Mac OSX Install DVD (showed the hard disk image, like the HD Recovery​
3: Snow leopard install disk (showed DVD image)​

When I tried to run either option 2 or 3 I got the 3 beeps and the white screen. How can this have happened? I haven't even touched my RAM cards and they were fine before this snow leopard nonsense. Please note that none of my hardware has been handled since the iMac has been at my house. What can this mean?:Grimmace:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your machine can only run Lion. The constant 3 beeps you're hearing is the EFI complaining. :) Reinstall Lion, you can not run Snow Leopard on that machine and you can not run any other version of Windows in Boot Camp except Windows 7.

Before reinstalling Lion, reset the PRAM according to these Apple instructions.

LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.