rEFIt Linux boot option doesnt go away

Reaction score
hi, i made a tripple boot with mac os x, Linux and Windows 7. im using rEFIt to chose witch one i want to boot.
i installed linux on a partition of the HDD inside my macbook pro8,1, but the internet didnt work so i wanted to uninstall Linux but i didnt know how, so i removed the partition with Linux installed on it. now on rEFIt boot the Linux option is still there and when i click it it boots but then i get an error message and it it says it didnt find any media, now for the annoying part.
The same thing happens when i try to boot windows 7 :S i dont know why and it is realy annoying. please help me with this problem i have been serching the web for days without success.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing to do is to reset the PRAM on your machine. Here's the LINK.

After resetting the PRAM, use your Finder and navigate to here:

MacIntosh HD/EFI/refit/refit.config

The refit.config file is the configuration file for refit. First thing to do before messing with it is to make a copy of it and place it in your documents folder in case you need to go back to it.

The file is in plain text so you can edit with TextEdit. You'll need to read it carefully and edit out Linux. If the file confuses you or you can't edit it for some reason, then I suggest you turn off rEFIt.

Do you know how to turn off rEFIt? If not, do this: Rename the MacIntosh HD/EFI folder to MacIntosh HD/EFI_save. Reboot the machine. That will remove the blessing and you can select OS X or Windows by using the option key when you boot. (It does not uninstall rEFIt)

Post back if you need more help.

OP
A
Reaction score
It worked 1000 thanks to you i did what u told me to. in the rEFIt.config i remived the # firstlegacy and then it didnt boot the grub. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.