Textedit document won't open after computer was accidently shut off

Reaction score
Hi,

A few days ago I tried to put my computer into sleep mode but accidently pressed on the button too long and shut the entire machine off. The next day I turned it back on and everything was fine, except for a document I have been working on for about a year and which is very important to me.

When I try to open the textedit document, an error message pops up saying that the document cannot be opened. I have tried to change the format to a .text, .pdf, and, even to upload it to the internet and to change the format into a .rar or other format, hoping that by doing so it will somehow correct whatever error occured.

I have also downloaded a Stellar Phoenix recovery program, however it does not do anything because I think the program is just for recover deleted files in place of actually correcting any errors that may have occured in given files.

I have also tried changing the format to a .text format and copying over the lines of code that seem out of place when to the rest of the code, but to no avail.

There is definitely a way to make the document work again, as all the information is still there. I guess it would be like if I put a lot of money into a safe and then damaged the key hole. It's not because the keyhole is damaged that the money is lost.

If you know of a program that will correct the document, or a way that I can correct it or send it to someone who can, for which I would be willing to pay, please, please, please do suggest such at will, I would very much appreciate it!

Like I said, I have been working on the document for a long time and it is essential that I regain access to it.

If it helps, I have a Mac 10.4.11. I have another writing program I downloaded to see if it could access the document, Bean, but it didn't work. I have tried opening it with every possible application, though nothing.

Thank you very much for reading and any suggestions you may have!
And, please, do not tell me it cannot be accessed. Surely someone has developed a virtual chainsaw that will cut through all the crap and get what matters back.

:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved your post here to the correct forum. The iOS Apps forum is for mobile devices and apps only.

As to your problem.... Anyone working on a document for a year would have at least one or more backups of it? I guess you don't have a backup?

Anyway, it sounds like your document was open when you shut the machine down and it became corrupt. About the only way you're going to recover that document is to use another program that can read it in order to cut and paste from it thereby creating a new document. Probably going to be lots of work.

Sorry, that's the only suggestion I have. Programs like Stellar Phoenix or Data Rescue will not be of any value.

OP
S
Reaction score
Moved your post here to the correct forum. The iOS Apps forum is for mobile devices and apps only.

As to your problem.... Anyone working on a document for a year would have at least one or more backups of it? I guess you don't have a backup?

Anyway, it sounds like your document was open when you shut the machine down and it became corrupt. About the only way you're going to recover that document is to use another program that can read it in order to cut and paste from it thereby creating a new document. Probably going to be lots of work.

Sorry, that's the only suggestion I have. Programs like Stellar Phoenix or Data Rescue will not be of any value.

Thank you for redirecting my post to the appropriate part of the forum and for suggesting a possible solution. If there is anyone who can do something like that for me, I would be happy to pay them. You are right that Stellar Phoenix did no good.

If anyone knows of anything or one that can be of real assistance, please do respond to this thread. Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.