iPad Battery Life 2 Years Later

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
My iPad 1 is still holding up excellent, with the no noticeable degradation of battery life.

My iPad 1 is iOS 5.1 but it refused to load iPhoto - yours will do that?

iPhoto doesn't work on iPad 1 - the iTunes store reviews are full of complaints about that fact (Apple says it's the fact it doesn't have a front facing camera, but the real reason is the paltry 256mb of RAM it has).

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
iPhoto doesn't work on iPad 1 - the iTunes store reviews are full of complaints about that fact (Apple says it's the fact it doesn't have a front facing camera, but the real reason is the paltry 256mb of RAM it has).

Cool, thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Oh ye of little faith....... iPhoto works really well on iPad 1, I was really surprised just how well it worked.

You just need to use the Apple iPhone configuration utility to install it. The same is true of iMovie - but that doesn't run do well.

There are several guides knocking around, here's one:
Install iPhoto App For iOS On iPad 1 [How-To] | Redmond Pie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Oh ye of little faith....... iPhoto works really well on iPad 1, I was really surprised just how well it worked.

You just need to use the Apple iPhone configuration utility to install it. The same is true of iMovie - but that doesn't run do well.

There are several guides knocking around, here's one:
Install iPhoto App For iOS On iPad 1 [How-To] | Redmond Pie

I saw the story on Arstechnica a few days ago, but it's important for the average Joe to note that a) it isn't supported (future updates may break compatibility) b) large photos won't load into memory, resulting in a crash and c) you can't do it without a Mac.

But you're right, it's technically possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I saw the story on Arstechnica a few days ago, but it's important for the average Joe to note that a) it isn't supported (future updates may break compatibility) b) large photos won't load into memory, resulting in a crash and c) you can't do it without a Mac.

But you're right, it's technically possible.

Granted it's not the conventional route.

But I've had it work with 14mp images ok but I imagine that pushed too hard it'd struggle.

It doesn't, however need a Mac. There's a windows version of the utility too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.