Still problems with Macbook case cracking

Reaction score
Hi everybody, thought I'd pop this down here.

I have an early 2009 white Macbook, and I have twice had to take it back to the Apple store over the past 2 years to get the top case replaced due to the cracking issue related to the magnets in the lid.

Yesterday I noticed a completely new crack, but this time in a place I have never seen before.

bda7b91f.jpg

Fortunately I still have some warranty left till May 2012 to cover this, hopefully, but this is the 3rd time now I've had to make an appointment with a genius to get it repaired.

The machine isn't abused. It gets looked after and protected. When not in use it's stored in a well padded carry case to avoid damage. And when it is used, it's either on my lap on the sofa, or on my desk.

Is there any sort of 3 strike rule where if you have the same fault 3 times, they replace it rather than just repair it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there any sort of 3 strike rule where if you have the same fault 3 times, they replace it rather than just repair it?

I suppose it never hurts to ask when you take it in. Who knows? You may luck out with a generous store manager. In any event, they'll replace the case again.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well I'm booked in to see a genius today at 1pm. I think I may be being a bit optimistic with the replacement thing haha

It was just my frustration coming out.

OP
M
Reaction score
So the genius bar said that the where the crack has happened isn't usually covered under the extended warranty, but a little chat with the manager, and I have got them to repair it under the warranty. So a minor result.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think it's pretty disgraceful that this long-standing problem wasn't ever rectified with that model line.

I just replaced the LCD panel on an early-2009 model. Not only was the palmrest cracked in all the usual places, but the bezel around the display was too. In this case, the machine wasn't under Apple Care, so the owner just sucked it up. But it still looks pretty horrible for such a "new" machine.

Reaction score
Really? They're not repairing this?

Yesterday a serious crack appeared in the lower left side of the bezel, a little bit above the screw. From what I've been reading, this has been a known issue for quite some time. Is Apple really not taking care of this issue?

My Macbook Pro is from mid-2008. i do not abuse it. But as I type this I'm noticing a couple of "bright spots" on the left side of the screen that weren't there before--even earlier today. I can't help but wonder if the two issue are related.

I'm going to try to get this in to the Geniuses tomorrow......any thoughts on how to be make my case for getting Apple to take care of this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yesterday a serious crack appeared in the lower left side of the bezel, a little bit above the screw. From what I've been reading, this has been a known issue for quite some time. Is Apple really not taking care of this issue?

My Macbook Pro is from mid-2008. i do not abuse it. But as I type this I'm noticing a couple of "bright spots" on the left side of the screen that weren't there before--even earlier today. I can't help but wonder if the two issue are related.

I'm going to try to get this in to the Geniuses tomorrow......any thoughts on how to be make my case for getting Apple to take care of this?

It doesn't effect the MacBook Pros, only the non-Unibody plastic MacBooks. It sounds like someone bent the screen back too far. Were kids playing with it?

Reaction score
Nope. I'm the only user. As I mentioned, I don't abuse it. Can't say that I always treat it with kid gloves, but I don't toss it around; have never dropped it; and definitely don't over extend it when I open it. Two days ago when I used it, no crack. Yesterday, big crack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.