Mac Mail

Reaction score
Hi there, I am having real problems with my mail accounts. I have three different accounts with different servers and on each am getting error messages saying they can't reach my outgoing server with a message saying 'Cannot send message using ....'. At first I received emails from all accounts and then after checking preferences many times I decided on one account to delete one account and reset the preferences as I had them before, now this account no longer works on this computer at all. And I have lost all my old emails.
When trying Connection Doctor I get the message 'Could not connect to this SMTP.' Haven't changed anything in my other two account settings and don't know why I'm getting this message. My business partner says his email on same account is working fine and my host said things fine their end.
Recently changed Broadband provider to Orange and think this problem happened at the same time, but they say they can't help and is something to do with my end.

Please help(!) don't know what to do at all.....!

Thanks in advance,

Nicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You don't say where your email accounts as hosted (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, talktalk, orange etc) but if your email was provided by your previous internet provider once you switch to a different provider you'll be able to continue to receive mail to that address (at thier discretion but it's often 6-12 months) but they will prevent you from sending (this is your SMTP error) almost immediately.

This is why it's often better to use someone like gmail or iCloud for mail as they are independent of your internet service which means you can switch internet providers without any email 'upset'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Depending on how the email was configured initially you may be able to recover your emails by logging into your email account on the providers website, rather than through Mac mail.

To prevent the SMTP error you'll need to decide which, working, email account you're going to use and set this as the default 'sending' email.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank mrplow, I do apologise but I get really confused sometimes, my host is POP I think...!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No apologies required. ISPs should inform you of these changes as you join or leave.

POP is the protocol as opposed to IMAP.

The good thing about this is that POP connected accounts COPY email down to your client (Mac Mail in this instance) and don't cascade changes back up to the server so if you delete email in Mac mail the original email will still be on the server.

So, providing the provider of that email address has a webmail page, you'll be able to log onto the website and get access to your old emails.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.