Serious question - Shell for OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Mid 2010) 2.4ghz C2D, 8GB Ram
Since OSX is a Unix derivative, with a little work could you get KDE or GNOME running on top of it?
Actually my question is, has anyone ever heard of anyone else trying?

I think I would give it a shot as I can't find evidence.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mac OS X already uses a shell called Aqua. See this LINK from Wikipedia. Gnome is an Aqua copy cat and KDE a Windows copy cat so why would you want either one?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seriously?

Because both are completely different interfaces. Neither of them work as Windows or Mac's interfaces. GNOME only really looks like OSX in Ubuntu, and that is only because of a bar across the top. However that bar is for program management, and nothing to do with the running app. I'm not familiar how it works in the newest version but gnome does not mimic OSX besides the left side window control buttons. KDE has gone through a lot of changes through the years, and yeah it has a start menu clone, but it is smooth and its just a different interface to use rather than the Finder in OSX, Aqua is just the theming used in the Finder, rather than Platinum which was the previous theme.

Anyway I did find out that at least KDE has ports to install it on OSX or even in windows. I guess I answered my own question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I installed KDE because I wanted to try out Umbrello for UML. Konqueror and Umbrello both run fine. Are you trying to replace the entire UI?

Install macports - and port search kde. You'll find a bunch of stuff. I went off of this webpage
Mark Aufflick's Weblog
I believe there is a kde-devel port that came with pretty much everything for kde.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
**** yeah thats exactly what I am looking to do. I want to use KDE but I dont want to format and ditch OSX or partition, flash drive boot, etc. Thank you

C

chas_m

Call me crazy, but I bought a Mac to use it as a Mac, not as some pretend-Linux-wannabe machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Call me crazy, but I'm not trying to impose what you should do with your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.