iPhone 4S will not bluetooth pair with mid-2010 MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (mid-2014), Intel Core I7, 4 Cores, 2.5GHz, 16 GB Mem 500 SSDSophos10.8.2, iPhone 7Plus
The iphone 4s initially pairs with MBP but drops out. On seond try the MBP reports that iPhone 4s not supported. Help?:Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was about to tell you that you can't pair the iPhone to a computer, but found out differently when I went to investigate.

I had the same problem… said my iMac wasn't supported. To fix it, you need to delete the Bluetooth preference files in your home library and root library, then reboot. Worked for me.

EDIT: I take that back… getting the error again. Will have to investigate this further. I'm real curious now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok… best I can tell, it looks like it only works if you have the Personal Hotspot feature enabled. And being on AT&T, that would cost money. :(

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (mid-2014), Intel Core I7, 4 Cores, 2.5GHz, 16 GB Mem 500 SSDSophos10.8.2, iPhone 7Plus
Thanks, a newbie to this site. Have now posted my specs including Sophos Anti Virus on MBP. I am also having trouble pairing my iPhone 4S with my Acura MDX HandsFreeLink - pairs then drops out. Acura says the phone is compatible with their system.

C

chas_m

Uninstall the Sophos (it's not needed anyway) and see if that helps. The Bluetooth on an iPhone is EXTREMELY limited in what it can pair with -- basically headsets, headphones, keyboards and ... that's about it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the additional information and advise

Uninstall the Sophos (it's not needed anyway) and see if that helps. The Bluetooth on an iPhone is EXTREMELY limited in what it can pair with -- basically headsets, headphones, keyboards and ... that's about it.

Will do as you suggest with Sophos - really liked your sage advise piece.

Sorry to hear about extremely limited Bluetooth for IPhone. I value hands free use of phone in my Acura. Any ideas why it will pair in my auto then almost immediately disconnect? Antenna problem? Short range? I gave up a Samsung Galaxy (Verizon) because Apple products just simply work better - but maybe this "limited bluetooth" issue is one of the exceptions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear about extremely limited Bluetooth for IPhone. I value hands free use of phone in my Acura. Any ideas why it will pair in my auto then almost immediately disconnect? Antenna problem? Short range? I gave up a Samsung Galaxy (Verizon) because Apple products just simply work better - but maybe this "limited bluetooth" issue is one of the exceptions

It's limited, but should be working perfectly well with your hands-free set. Why it isn't won't be simple to figure out. If you know anyone with an iPhone, see if they can help you out by pairing their iPhone with your car to see if it will work. It their iPhone won't hold the pairing either, then the problem with the Acura.

Double-check with Acura's website for ensuring it is compatible with your iPhone and their instructions for pairing:
HandsFreeLink | Acura.com

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Support Community and Acura both report it should work

Apple Article HT3647 provides data on iOS: Supported Bluetooth profiles. I have not tried to pair again but will do so within the next 24 hours. Thanks for the help. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.