ibook fan

Reaction score
for the 1st time since i bought my g4 12" ibook in early september this year, the fan kicked in and made this audible whirring sound. the ibook was not unusually hot and i was just typing an email when the noise started. i was not running any more programs than i usually do.
the noise definitely sounded like a fan although i may be wrong. is this normal? if so why now after all this time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
where you doing anything other than that? was it on a surface where no proper ventalation is (like on a bedsheet, on a couch, basically anyplace that doesnt leave a bit of space at the bottem for the heat to dissipate)?

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
it was sitting on my lap and i was propped up in bed. there was definitely space between the ibook and my lap though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
even if its been running for a long time, and not performing any amazing things, the fan will kick in, they can become some pretty hott little computers...

T

Tel

Using it on your lap for a while will probably cause the fan to kick in. Its no big deal really, as a rule of thumb you should make sure that there is proper ventilation when the fan is running (take it of your lap and put it on a smooth flat surface). Seen as the fan has to kick in before the iBook overheats you can be sure that the temperature is fine if the fan isn't running.

Reaction score
Because I am a serious gamer, pushing my video card for all its worth, I often find that it overheats quite a bit. So what did I do to fix the problem, well fpr starters, I bought a laptop cooler, and second made sure that it is well ventilated. I would feel happier if the fan was constantly on, but unfortunately it is not.

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
osvoldk said:
I would feel happier if the fan was constantly on, but unfortunately it is not.

to this pair of ears it sounded really loud and annoying. it would drive me up the wall if the fan was constantly on!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.