USB files deleted after transfer

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

A friend of mine called me today in a panic after some word files from USB stick had disappeared.

I own a MBA and he gave me USB stick (which he uses on PCs) to transfer a couple of movie files onto. When i opened his USB files I could see that there was 3 other movie files - not any word files. So i transfer the movie files. Job Done.

My question is then.. is there any chance i have overwritten some unseen files during the transfer? Or would it be a case of as long as the MAC can read the USB, it should be able to see all files? Hence, no word files were present?

Hope this makes sense, if not, just ask...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No chance of overwriting the files.

Even if they were named identically you would still get a warning asking you what you wanted to overwrite, rename or cancel

OP
D
Reaction score
So you still think I would have received an error even though i cannot see these files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If the OS could see the files but you couldn't (hidden etc) you'd still be prompted.

The only way you could remove them without seeing them is if you formatted the drive, but even then it's not something you can do accidentaly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.