Macbook Pro going very slow.

Reaction score
Hi, i've had my macbook pro for 2 1/2 years now, so its getting on a bit. I'm not that great with computers...so was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Basically, in the last 2 months its started going really slow. When i open a few programs at a time, like chrome, itunes, skype, mail etc. it can't handle it very well. Opening a new tab or loading 2 videos on youtube it struggles with too. It also gets pretty hot. I constantly find myself restarting every few hours.

Was wondering if there is anything i can do about this? Or should i just completely wipe it and reinstall the operating system?

I have Mac Version 10.6.8, 2.26 GHz, 1GB memory.

Plus i still have 40GB free. From browsing these forums it says that these signs show that memory would be low? Do i need to purchase more ram? Is that worth it?!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
An extra GB or two of ram wouldn't be a bad idea.

But the first thing I'd do is run repair permission/disk verify from Disk Utility.

Then get Onyx for Snow Leopard and run the automation scripts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.