Remote Desktop -- for different computer

Reaction score
I've gotten a bookkeeping job where I work on my MacBook (X 10.6.8) at home and I need to be able to access the Windows computer at headquarters. I have the address and the password.

I don't seem to have Apple Remote Desktop on my hard drive, even though software updates come through and get installed with no problems (as recently as two weeks ago). This sort of led me to believe I had Remote Desktop but I can't find it anywhere.

The research I've been doing leads me to think all the RD programs are for accessing MY computer from elsewhere, which isn't what I need to do. I need to access THEIR computer from mine. Which program would be the best for me?

I need some guidance asap, please. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
The way I understand this to work is that your HQ needs to configure their system to let your Mac access it.
To this effect I understood that you will need to have a Static IP address on your phone line so that their server will always recognise you. You then gain access by whatever log-in procedures they require if any, usually by a web portal. I used to know this as a Virtual Private Network.

Apple Remote Desktop is proprietary software designed for an administrator managing other Macs on a network.

EDIT I've just re-read your OP and you seem to have the address and password, this should give you access via the web but can be limited depending how much your HQ restricts what you can do. Have you tried this yet..it should work in your web-browser..you don't need software .

OP
M
Reaction score
Really? All I need to do is put the IP numbers in the url? Cool! I'll try it and report back.

Thanks very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You can download the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client for Mac from Microsoft.com. It is free. Works exactly like the Windows version.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'm going to get that Microsoft version. I'm not running Windows on my Mac, and haven't done any PC work for years, so the learning curve ought to be fun ( / sarcasm). Putting the IP address in the url didn't work, thought it did take me to a spiffy site.

I appreciate all your answers. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Yeah, I think I'm going to get that Microsoft version. I'm not running Windows on my Mac, and haven't done any PC work for years, so the learning curve ought to be fun ( / sarcasm). Putting the IP address in the url didn't work, thought it did take me to a spiffy site.

I appreciate all your answers. Thanks.

No probs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I use the MS one from my Mac, and it works fine. Same settings as the Windows versions and you can save the settings per host, which is nice.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've gotten a bookkeeping job where I work on my MacBook (X 10.6.8) at home and I need to be able to access the Windows computer at headquarters. I have the address and the password.

You can download the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client for Mac from Microsoft.com. It is free. Works exactly like the Windows version.
RDC is only going to work if sharing is setup for remote desktop. In other words, we need to know how you're supposed to access those machines. Is it RD, VNC, SSH, etc.? I'm sure it's RD but you want to make sure before you find yourself frustrated. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.