iPhone was in desk at new job all day, by 4PM suddenly DEAD

Reaction score
I just started a new job yesterday working on a manufacturing floor. I had my phone (4S) in my bag in my desk drawer all day. Maybe made one call out during lunch. I didn't even have time to check Facebook!
At 4PM, I looked to check my emails on my phone when it wouldn't turn on. I hold the on off button and it gives me the power up symbol and empty battery. Fully charged and after just 1 phone call!
Could I be working with some sort of magnets or something that drained my phone so quickly?
This was so bazarre and it has never happened to me.
Is my phone crazy or am I?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If the screen doesn't auto-lock and you left it on, or worse.., left it on with something running that is battery hungry, then that could have done it.

Also, sometimes some apps misbehave and run in the background when they shouldn't. Even iOS acts up at times and some process fails to die and kills the battery. See here for how to check for this and how to fix:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ip...465-iphone-early-termination.html#post1359489

Reaction score
If it was out of signal in the drawer this could be the cause. A phone will use far more battery hunting for signal continually than if it is in signal.

C

chas_m

As an experiment, try charging it fully, then putting it in airplane mode while you're not using it. You can turn airplane mode off when you need to use the phone for something.

Let us know if that "solves" the problem, then we'll know if the battery is going bad or something else (like newbimac's suggestion) is what's really going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
I also heard that using Reminders with GPS areas will drink battery smoothies. Also, Notifications for apps that you do not need notifications for will be sipping as they are running in the background.
Essentially: culling off what is not essential will always help.

OP
G
Reaction score
Great! It could be any one of these. I'm thinking it is the searching for signal problem. I will test these out. Thank you all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
As an experiment, try charging it fully, then putting it in airplane mode while you're not using it. You can turn airplane mode off when you need to use the phone for something.

Let us know if that "solves" the problem, then we'll know if the battery is going bad or something else (like newbimac's suggestion) is what's really going on.

This is what I do, generally. There is no signal at all at work. Once in the building, it's gone.. poof. That said, turning off location services for automatic time setting increased battery life, even in the building, tremendously. I'd say it just sucks at DST switches.. but my phones always thought I'm in a state that uses DST, so it just flat out sucks anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.