Mac Mini Specs for recording music in suitable quality

Reaction score
I was just checking out the mac minis. I am an aspiring musician, and I want to record my music in suitable quality. I don't need to go overboard with the expenses...I am a college student as well. I just wanted to know if I should get the basic mac mini, with the 500GB 5200rpm hardrive, or if I should upgrade the hardrive to 750GB 7200rpm. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Also, any helpful hints on where to find an inexpensive and superior alternative to Garage band would be appreciated.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved here to "Desktops". Not a subject for "Community Suggestions and Feedback". Please read our forum descriptions prior to posting. Thanks.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
When buying a Mac for music production, the most important part to look at is the CPU - basically buy the best one you can DAWs rely heavily on CPUs for audio processing. hard drives can be upgraded later if you are on a budget.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.