Not a hipster... MBP worth the money? =)

Reaction score
Hi there! I have been laboring over the decision to buy a new laptop for my freelance graphic/web business. I have a circa-2006 VAIO that has been a good one, but it maxes out at 2GB RAM and pre-dates my need for PhotoShop, and so, just can't keep up anymore.

I am either going to buy a new VAIO (W7, i5, 8GB, 500GB, Radeon 1GB GPU, 15.5" 1920x1080 LED) for $600, and step up to the MacBook Pro.

I have been to the Apple store twice, and asked everyone I know who owns a MBP... and though everyone says "Oh, Macs are better for PhotoShop and graphics," no one can actually tell me WHY they are better.

Just wondering, if I genuinely don't care about having a Mac because it's a Mac... WHY is it worth the extra $1,300? I honestly just want the best and most practical solution for my work, and I am willing to pay the price if it's really better.

Main apps used:
PhotoShop CS5
Dreamweaver CS5
Acrobat
PowerPoint (advanced user... exporting to flash for web)

Thanks or any advice/help.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi there! I have been laboring over the decision to buy a new laptop for my freelance graphic/web business. I have a circa-2006 VAIO that has been a good one, but it maxes out at 2GB RAM and pre-dates my need for PhotoShop, and so, just can't keep up anymore.

I am either going to buy a new VAIO (W7, i5, 8GB, 500GB, Radeon 1GB GPU, 15.5" 1920x1080 LED) for $600, and step up to the MacBook Pro.

I have been to the Apple store twice, and asked everyone I know who owns a MBP... and though everyone says "Oh, Macs are better for PhotoShop and graphics," no one can actually tell me WHY they are better.

Just wondering, if I genuinely don't care about having a Mac because it's a Mac... WHY is it worth the extra $1,300? I honestly just want the best and most practical solution for my work, and I am willing to pay the price if it's really better.

Main apps used:
PhotoShop CS5
Dreamweaver CS5
Acrobat

1) The $1300 differential is overstated . . . do a thread search here and you will see this has been discussed to death.
2) Actual cost difference for similar build quality and specs is around $200.
3) You can run all of your existing software on a new Mac (just purchase and install Windows and you're good to go)
4) The real big advantage though of a Mac is OS X (stability, far less Malware etc)

But, there is a learning curve and if a Windows laptop will meet your needs (especially since you are doing this for a living) by all means get one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

It's not so much about which platform is "better"...it's about which OS does a user prefer. Some folks like Windows...and some folks prefer the Mac OS. Macintosh's also seem to be better when it come to viruses & malware.

It sounds like you're a "Windows Person" (which is fine)...and if so...then stick with Windows & get that $600 Sony VAIO.:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The Sony is a clearance (original $1249), and it seems like it out-specs the stock MBP, but I know that specs can be misleading.

In all my research, it seems like "user experience" is the main reason to go with Mac. My husband gave me an iPhone 4 for Mother's Day last year, and I love it on a level I never thought possible for a gadget. Before the iPhone, I probably wouldn't have considered getting a MacBook at all. But, while I'm sure there are dozens of phones that can technically do what my iPhone does, the interface, stability, battery life, and overall pleasure to operate preclude me from considering anything else. iPhone forever! LOL.

I guess I am hoping that someone can tell me that OS X does something inherently different with the way it handles processes and high-demand apps like PhotoShop.

I'm sort of in the "if you have to install Windows on your Mac, what's the point of buying one" camp.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In all my research, it seems like "user experience" is the main reason to go with Mac.

EXACTLY!:)

Sounds to me that you either need to purchase the SONY computer...or get more experience using Macintosh computers before making a buying decision. Try a visit to an Apple Store...and "play" around with the Mac's for a while.

If it really comes down to the "dollars & cents"...in the end you will probably buy the less expensive SONY anyway!;)

Mac's are about the experience, ease of use Mac OS, stability of the Mac OS, and much less problems with virus's and malware. Also remember...many many graphics professionals use Mac's (and have been for years & years)...so when you deal with fellow graphics professionals (who use Mac's)...you will be talking the same "computer language" if you are familiar with using Mac's.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Why does everyone keep telling me that? It's starting to hurt my feelings. ;D

Probably because you approached it from a strictly dollars and cents perspective (a valid perspective BTW). No offense at all intended.

But, there are many ways to compute value. Most of us feel that Macs are a better long term value (and in most cases short term as well). The service life on Macs for one thing tends to be longer. And, of course, there is all that AntiVirus software that you don't have to buy.

For that matter, overall software costs tend to be lower.

EDIT: I was typing (though slower) while Nick was posting . . . interesting to me the "Dollars and cents" common thought. Great minds as they say . . . ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why does everyone keep telling me that? It's starting to hurt my feelings. ;D

It sounds like you're a "Windows Person" (which is fine)...

If you're going to quote someone...please don't edit the quote to the point that the meaning is changed.:( If you recall...I also mentioned "which is fine".:)

There are:

- Windows folks...those folks that have always used the Winows OS
- Macintosh folks...those folks that have always used the Mac OS
- Windows/Macintosh folks...folks that use both platforms on regular basis

Also...you are on a MACINTOSH internet forum...don't you think there will be a bit of a "bias" here??? What do you think happens if Macintosh user jumps onto a "Windows internet forum"...they get all "beat up"!!!:(

We here at Mac-Forums try to be as friendly & unbiased as possible...that's why you've already received two recommendations to stick with a Windows computer if that is what you are comfortable with...and not willing to pay the $$$ for a Macintosh computer.

We are also not here for psychoanalysis;)...if you feel inadequate as a "Windows Person":(...can't help you with that!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score

Main apps used:
PhotoShop CS5
Dreamweaver CS5
Acrobat

Do you drink PBR?

Serious question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Mac because

They are simpler, easier, more intuitive to use and provide a greatly more stable platform much less likely to be subject to malware or virus attack. That the Mac speaks the same language and has the same use appearance as the iPod, iPhone, and iPad is another plus. I have used Unyx, DOS, Windows, Mac and i OS, and linnux boxes. (As Well as TRS 80, C-64, Atari, and all the others in the early days.) I daily use Mac but my work provides Windows machines and they are my spouse's preference so I remain "bilingual."

I am a photographer and value graphics abilities and stability highly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
One word says it all 'you will not be yelling and kicking at your pc, thanks steve' that is what a person's tribute to steve jobs wrote.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's interesting that you bring this up. I saw a discussion recently where people pointed out a very simple fact - for all intents and purposes, Photoshop is exactly the same program across platforms. While OS X may have had an advantage in the past (given that many graphics features were baked into OS X), that advantage appears to have been lost. Granted, I'm not an artist/PS user (I am a self-professed philistine) but it would appear, from where I'm sitting, that you have a valid concern.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '11 iMac 21.5", iPad 4 w/Retina Display 16GB, 13.3" MacBook Pro (Late '11) 500 GB HD, 2.4 GHz
I just made the switch to a Macbook Pro yesterday and I have to say that it was money well spent. As has already been stated, if you do enough research, you'll find that many of the same things you do on a Windows based PC can be done on a Macbook, in addition to all of the other points discussed here. If you do decide to buy one, I don't think you'll regret it. Another thing, the price that you listed is overstated and once you start using it, you'll see that it was much more to it than just buying one "because it's a Mac."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Intel i5 4GB RAM. Intel P4 w/ HT @ 3.0GHz 4GB RAM Debian GNU/Linux
I guess I am hoping that someone can tell me that OS X does something inherently different with the way it handles processes and high-demand apps like PhotoShop.

I personally have noticed that all the UNIX like kernels I've used do handle RAM and processes much better than the NT kernel.

UNIX like being Mac OS X and Linux and NT is what Windows uses.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's interesting that you bring this up. I saw a discussion recently where people pointed out a very simple fact - for all intents and purposes, Photoshop is exactly the same program across platforms. While OS X may have had an advantage in the past (given that many graphics features were baked into OS X), that advantage appears to have been lost. Granted, I'm not an artist/PS user (I am a self-professed philistine) but it would appear, from where I'm sitting, that you have a valid concern.

Agreed. I've always wondered about that myself.

In my opinion, it comes down to personal preference. If you really grok Windows, just stick with it. But if you find yourself less than satisfied, the Mac is a very good alternative.

As far as the value goes... that's a tough one. And it's easy to get caught up comparing specs. Where the MacBooks really shine is in the materials and design of the machines. If you line one up against your run-of-the-mill generic Windows laptop, you can get a feel for how finely crafted it is by comparison. To some people, that's worth the premium.

It's kind of like that with the OS too. I've often heard OS X described as being "fluid", and I think that's an apt description. Everything feels very seamless and quick. Windows 7 is a nice improvement over XP, but it's just not as nicely put together as OS X is. And under general use, OS X just feels faster to me.

But again, to Vansmith's point - software packages like the CS suite don't inherently run better, and there are no practical advantages that I'm aware of (other than not needing to run an anti-virus product, which can tend to bog down a machine).

Reaction score
Are they worth the money.
IMHO No they are not. You can get one **** of a Windows PC for what the mid range Macbook Pros cost and you won't have problems switching your Adobe CS5 programs over to Mac, which will cost you as Adobe doesn't so that for free.

Macs use the Exact Same Hardware as Windows PCs. And they suffer the same OS and program glitches. If they didn't there wouldn't be all these Mac forums around.
If they Just Worked then you wouldn't see all these posts on all the Mac forums.

Also there are just more and better programs for Windows. There are only a few programs made that don't have a version that runs on Windows and for those there are multiple other program that do the same things.

Even Apple specific programs run as good if not better on a PC. Like iTunes and iCloud.
And all there other hardware works just as good if not better on a PC. Pods, Pads, Phones even there Airport stuff.

And if you haven't heard Mac's are Not easier to use. They are just different.

Yes I own a Mac, a MBP 15" late 2011. But I also own Windows computers. What do I use the most, what platform do I use for work? That would be Windows PCs.

So think long and hard if you want to go through the learning curve, the change over to all new programs and or cost of switching to Mac programs.

Good Luck.

Reaction score
The best way to make up your mind if a MAC is better for you than something else is to read objective reviews and do a lot of window shopping. Ignore all the PC vs MAC stuff and just make your own decision.

You can read reviews and opinions until the cows come home but you should go into the Apple store or a BestBuy and spend some time playing around with the Macbooks or Imacs. Don't just go in and play around with the gear. Think about what you will be primarily using the MAC for and what things will take most of your time--graphics, music, browsing, business?. When testing out the equipment, use the software and features that represent th majority of your interests in a computer. This will give you an idea of the user experience, the product itself, and what you can expect. Once you are done, move over to the PC laptops and repeat. Compare and contrast.

If you are impressed with the MAC and think its worth the money, buy it. If not, get something else. Its really that simple. People make it too complicated. You are purchasing a computer, not signing your life away.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Even Apple specific programs run as good if not better on a PC. Like iTunes and iCloud.
And all there other hardware works just as good if not better on a PC. Pods, Pads, Phones even there Airport stuff.
That's a little ridiculous. iTunes on Windows is terrible compared to the OS X version (the same goes for Safari) and iCloud, as a cloud system baked into OS X, is much better intergrated than the Windows version. I also fail to see how iOS devices work better with Windows. I'm not going to argue that it's magnitudes better on the Mac but how does Windows handle USB syncing "just as good if not better"? Care to elaborate on how this is so?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.