• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How bout those gas prices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The average income of a Chevy Volt owner is $170,000. That's about the same income as the average BMW owner and $40,000 more than the average Lexus owner. The rebate is $10,000. Read rebate as "money the government took from you, under threat of violence, to give to someone else." I'm not sure the electric car, nor the rebate, is doing much to help the specific people truly struggling due to gas prices. Personally, I hate taxes and tax rebates, but if we're taking taxpayer money to do some good, then giving $10,000 to someone who makes $30,000 so they can buy a car and perhaps work somewhere nicer, further from home, would probably help everyone a lot more. I'm sure a lot of construction guys could use $10,000 towards a new truck about now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The average income of a Chevy Volt owner is $170,000. That's about the same income as the average BMW owner and $40,000 more than the average Lexus owner. The rebate is $10,000. Read rebate as "money the government took from you, under threat of violence, to give to someone else." I'm not sure the electric car, nor the rebate, is doing much to help the specific people truly struggling due to gas prices. Personally, I hate taxes and tax rebates, but if we're taking taxpayer money to do some good, then giving $10,000 to someone who makes $30,000 so they can buy a car and perhaps work somewhere nicer, further from home, would probably help everyone a lot more. I'm sure a lot of construction guys could use $10,000 towards a new truck about now.

$170,000! O.O WOWZAAAA!!!! Doesn't really make sense though, unless they evaluate the Volt as a car people buy just for fun. My dad has owned cars that cost more than than a Volt even before any subsidies, and his income isn't 170,000. Actually, if I had 170,000, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't spend it on a Volt.

Reaction score
High gas prices will mean higher grocery prices, higher pretty-much-anything. Those of us with low-middle incomes will be hit hard if prices go up very far very fast.

OTOH, we will never get serious about exploring alternates to petroleum based transportation until the prices really start to hurt. I am excited about recent research into algae based fuels. By the looks of the early results, we will need very little in the way of change to the transportation infrastructure to make use of algae derived fuel. That's something that can not be said about almost every other renewable fuel source, including ethanol. And changing infrastructure is a MAJOR block in converting away from petroleum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
High gas prices will mean higher grocery prices, higher pretty-much-anything. Those of us with low-middle incomes will be hit hard if prices go up very far very fast.

OTOH, we will never get serious about exploring alternates to petroleum based transportation until the prices really start to hurt. I am excited about recent research into algae based fuels. By the looks of the early results, we will need very little in the way of change to the transportation infrastructure to make use of algae derived fuel. That's something that can not be said about almost every other renewable fuel source, including ethanol. And changing infrastructure is a MAJOR block in converting away from petroleum.

"Under my administration gas prices would necessarily go up and as a result the use of fuel would go down. This is how I would fight climate change and reduce the use of fossil fuels" - Barack Hussein Obama

I guess the plan to "fundamentally change society" is scooting along nicely. Bringing everyone to the same level is good I guess, though I'd prefer to be part of bringing people up instead of down. "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe" was what Energy Secretary Chu said, so at least we have an idea of what that stated target and goal is.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Gas priced just went up here in the last hour!. $4.05 here for a low.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
in my area

reg $4.35
prem $4.55

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
We are at $3.93 as of last night. I love the craptastic NY gas tax and the forced E10 we have to deal with.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We are at $3.93 as of last night. I love the craptastic NY gas tax and the forced E10 we have to deal with.

We're hovering around $3.75 or so here - and most of it is 10% Ethanol.

We do have a few stations that sell Ethanol-free gas at a premium of usually $0.20/gallon. I've experimented with it on occasion and see no discernable difference in mileage. But then, my car is somewhat of a pig on gas, regardless of the conditions.

I'll definitely be downsizing next time around as my kids are getting older and require less luggage and smaller car seats now when we travel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We're hovering around $3.75 or so here - and most of it is 10% Ethanol.

We do have a few stations that sell Ethanol-free gas at a premium of usually $0.20/gallon. I've experimented with it on occasion and see no discernable difference in mileage. But then, my car is somewhat of a pig on gas, regardless of the conditions.

I use the nonoxygenated gas for long term storage. It lasts much longer than the ethanol blend. It's also much kinder to small engines like generators and chain saws when it sits for months. I've not seen better gas mileage from it, but my Jeep and my Hemi weren't designed with fuel economy in mind. The ability to store it for 3, 6 or even 9 months is worth it sometimes, but it does cost you. I'll add that if you monkey with tuning engines, nonox takes timing advances much better without detonation.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I use the nonoxygenated gas for long term storage. It lasts much longer than the ethanol blend. It's also much kinder to small engines like generators and chain saws when it sits for months. I've not seen better gas mileage from it, but my Jeep and my Hemi weren't designed with fuel economy in mind. The ability to store it for 3, 6 or even 9 months is worth it sometimes, but it does cost you. I'll add that if you monkey with tuning engines, nonox takes timing advances much better without detonation.

That reminds me... I meant to put some Stabil in my lawnmowever, chainsaw and power washer before I put them in the shed for the winter.

I see some siphoning and hard starts in my near future... you should have seen what I went through trying to get my snowblower started for the first time this year ;)

Now, do you use a treatment in your gas, or are you actually able to find nonoxygenated gas in your area?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That reminds me... I meant to put some Stabil in my lawnmowever, chainsaw and power washer before I put them in the shed for the winter.

I see some siphoning and hard starts in my near future... you should have seen what I went through trying to get my snowblower started for the first time this year ;)

Now, do you use a treatment in your gas, or are you actually able to find nonoxygenated gas in your area?

I do both. I stockpile the nonox in containers, and fill up the Hemi with it directly from the pump. The Jeep get's the nonox, but only when I rotate through the stockpiled gas every 3 or 4 months. I add Stabil or Seafoam to the stockpiled gas. I add the same Stabil or Seafoam to the Hemi, as it sits in the garage for about 6 months a year on a full tank of nonox. The blower, mover, snowblower, saw and generator all get Stabil added to the mix as well, so I never have to drain them. All this allows me to keep 25 to 50 gallons of nonox on hand for power outages, seasonal price hikes and the unexpected. I found a local BP near me that still sells nonox. The link below lists stations in the US that sell it:

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Before I put my lawn mower away for the winter, I run it until it's out of gas. With the engine now hot, I drain the oil. Then I pull the spark plug, put a couple large spoonfuls of motor oil in that hole, and pull the starter rope slowly a few times after each spoonful. That's what the owner's manual says to do.

I don't save old gas for the next season. Fuel stabilizer only works for several weeks, so I;m told. Now that my snowblower is not a 2-cycle engine model, I just keep using my fuel (with stabilizer added) until the can is empty.

I also do not use gas with ethanol for my small engines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If I could I would get an electric car in a heartbeat I am so sick of oil companies impeding the flow of progress while having their cash flow go through the roof.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If I could I would get an electric car in a heartbeat I am so sick of oil companies impeding the flow of progress while having their cash flow go through the roof.

Sounds good on paper but they aren't exactly that much more efficient. >_<" Energy crisis and renewable energy source is definitely a problem that we are struggling with right now.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm all for renewable sources of energy that are better for the environment but electric cars don't really solve anything. If everyone had one, the grid would have to take on a much larger burden and given that the techniques to create electricity aren't all that clean as it is (40% of the global supply of electricity comes from coal for example), you'll end up just shifting and not solving the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The cheapest gas around me, via GasBuddy, is $3.45.9 for regular. $3.89.9 for premium.
And, $3.73.9 for diesel!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm all for renewable sources of energy that are better for the environment but electric cars don't really solve anything. If everyone had one, the grid would have to take on a much larger burden and given that the techniques to create electricity aren't all that clean as it is (40% of the global supply of electricity comes from coal for example), you'll end up just shifting and not solving the problem.

I agree!

The problem is we need a different transportation solution, one that doesn't involve 2000 lbs of machine to move 200 lbs of human. And, that is adaptable to the different lifestyles we all lead.
Doing things the way we currently do results in a minimum 90% waste because of the work expended moving the vehicle (average 10 times passenger weight) that serves no real purpose.

Don't know what that solution is, but I'll know it when I see it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I agree!

The problem is we need a different transportation solution, one that doesn't involve 2000 lbs of machine to move 200 lbs of human. And, that is adaptable to the different lifestyles we all lead.
Doing things the way we currently do results in a minimum 90% waste because of the work expended moving the vehicle (average 10 times passenger weight) that serves no real purpose.

Don't know what that solution is, but I'll know it when I see it.

Teleportation! :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I had an engineer friend tell me recently that gas powered engines are only something like 20% efficient. Talk about waste! So, not only do you have oversized hunks of metal moving small objects (us), they're doing it in an incredibly inefficient fashion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.