• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How bout those gas prices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Well, 15,000 miles still isn't 9,000km.

More like 24,000. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" i5 MBP (Late 2011)
I'm so glad I traded my jeep in for a Honda Fit last year. It has already saved me enough on fuel to pay off half of my loan.

I don't even notice the price changes at the pump anymore. I usually only put in 7 gallons a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, 15,000 miles still isn't 9,000km.

More like 24,000. :p

Yep. I had it backwards. I was thinking 100 miles is about 62 kilometers. It's the opposite. So, I wonder if Europeans drive anywhere near 24,000 km in a year on average... ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Wow those gas prices are just Wow.
They jumped very high. About a few days ago, it was about $3.70, then like overnight it jumped to like $4.50.
I'm in the city so yeah it is going to be more money.

This weekend, my dad came over, and when he paid for gas on the highway, he paid like 3.65 a gallon.

Reaction score
$3.57 down the street from me. Highest I've seen around here is $3.65.

I notice it rises anywhere between eight cents to thirteen cents every day. :Oops:

Diesel is about .40c more.

I shouldn't complain, but to be honest, I have to drive 30 miles to school everyday...in a pickup. 19 MPG used to be good, right? I'm lucky to get anywhere near 21 MPG.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
19 MPG used to be good, right? I'm lucky to get anywhere near 21 MPG.

Ha ha, i know how that feels! I used to have a Mitsubishi Evo 8, and that averaged around 20mpg. Not very good at all! Well not in the UK.

I've now got an Audi A4 Avant - It's still an unleaded so fuel consumption isn't the best, but if I drive it sensibly (70mph on the Motorway) I can get up to around 37mpg! I filled up last night - £74 for 55 litres of fuel. Bleurgh. :(

Reaction score
Yep. I had it backwards. I was thinking 100 miles is about 62 kilometers. It's the opposite. So, I wonder if Europeans drive anywhere near 24,000 km in a year on average... ?

I normally do about 12,000 personal milage and about 10,000 miles business. The fact is, if American car buyers realise bigger engines != more power, you will not notice the tiny cost increases you face. My 2L, 4 cylinder Renault produced around 190 bhp; newer cars of similar engine capacity can output around 300 bhp. My current Mercedes C Class (2.2L CDI) returns 52 mpg cruising at 80-90 mph.

Economical doesn't have to be bland.

Comfort doesn't have to be supersized.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Funny. See, I could stomach the $10 petrol complaints if you hadn't conceded to 120% taxes, thus relegating you to driving around in little fart-cans. ;)
That was unnecessary...

Besides, our cars are as big as they need to be... Why're yours so over-sized? Compensating for something? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I'll tell ya what...if there's one thing driving up gas prices, it's the MEDIA. I think by reporting that "gas prices are increasing" it basically gives the oil companies the okay to increase the prices, know what I'm sayin'?
M̶i̶n̶i̶p̶r̶o̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶d̶i̶c̶t̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶r̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶3̶0̶ ̶g̶r̶a̶m̶m̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶o̶c̶o̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶

Miniprod predicts increase in choco ration from 20 to 25 grammes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I drive a fuel efficient car but I still would want our society to find alternative fuels that each nation can have control over instead of being dependent on other nations for fuel. The solution probably will be a combination of technologies rather than only relying on one.

I'm actually surprised that Europe hasn't been the front runner in finding alternative fuels since the gas cost there are so high. I don't want to wait for gas prices to rise to $20 before there are alternative fuels. Gas prices will only go up in the future. It's best we prepare now for the switch before prices become any higher.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That was unnecessary...

Besides, our cars are as big as they need to be... Why're yours so over-sized? Compensating for something?

Play nice, fellas.... That's rule #1 here at Mac-Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Play nice, fellas.... That's rule #1 here at Mac-Forums.
I was joking! Sorry if my dry British humour was a little too deadpan for you ;)

[There, I edited my post to make it a little clearer]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I currently drive a Subaru Impreza. On a good day, if I try real hard, I can probably get 30-32mpg. Average I get around 25mpg. But I wouldn't trade it for something more fuel efficient. I love the car, it has tons of room, all wheel drive, and can still return a decent gas milage.

Besides, its a wagon*.

*What is America's hate with wagons? Wagons are awesome, and much more practical than a giant gas hog of an SUV.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I currently drive a Subaru Impreza. On a good day, if I try real hard, I can probably get 30-32mpg. Average I get around 25mpg. But I wouldn't trade it for something more fuel efficient. I love the car, it has tons of room, all wheel drive, and can still return a decent gas milage.

Besides, its a wagon*.

*What is America's hate with wagons? Wagons are awesome, and much more practical than a giant gas hog of an SUV.

My wife bought a 2010 Legacy. It gets about the same mileage as yours, which is pretty good in our book. Absolutely love the car and we've been thrilled with how well it does in adverse weather. Big Subaru fans here, for sure.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm actually surprised that Europe hasn't been the front runner in finding alternative fuels since the gas cost there are so high. I don't want to wait for gas prices to rise to $20 before there are alternative fuels. Gas prices will only go up in the future. It's best we prepare now for the switch before prices become any higher.

That's because generally European countries (and Asian countries) have better public transportation than we have. I spent some time working in Tokyo, Japan and even though I had my Volkswagon with me I hardly ever had to use it. Public transportation there is outstanding. Clean, fast, convenient and safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
My wife bought a 2010 Legacy. It gets about the same mileage as yours, which is pretty good in our book. Absolutely love the car and we've been thrilled with how well it does in adverse weather. Big Subaru fans here, for sure.

Yeah, mileage isn't the greatest for Subarus, but they'll take anything you throw at them and shrug it off. The new Legacy is a nice car, currently looking to get on for my fiancee to replace her aging Chevy Malibu.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I really like Subaru; the first car I ever bought (on my own) was a Subaru. But, the last six cars we have purchased have all been Toyota (most of them well used before we got them).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac 27 i7 2.8 GHz 12 GB of Ram - iPhone 4 16GB - iPhone 4S 16 GB - iPad 3 32GB WiFi
Gas in Illinois is climbing each day. Its up to $4.39 a gallon and I have a Saturn Vue AWD . I'm thankful I only have to top off the tank once a week and I am disabled and don't drive much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Besides, its a wagon*.

I think a lot of people see there automobile as a status symbol. I choose a vehicle for its utility based on what I "need" and then on safety, reliability and fuel economy. I find the one vehicle that is top rated in all those areas by Consumer Report, and that's how I pick. For 2011, the clear winner in my book is the Mazda3i, even though CR rates the Impreza as top in that class. I'm not sure how they worked that out. It suffers by comparison to the Mazda in both reliability and economy. Of course, many of those factors can change from year to year.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think a lot of people see there automobile as a status symbol. I choose a vehicle for its utility based on what I "need" and then on safety, reliability and fuel economy. I find the one vehicle that is top rated in all those areas by Consumer Report, and that's how I pick. For 2011, the clear winner in my book is the Mazda3i, even though CR rates the Impreza as top in that class. I'm not sure how they worked that out. It suffers by comparison to the Mazda in both reliability and economy. Of course, many of those factors can change from year to year.

Did you buy it yet? I had a 2006 Mazda 6 and it was very trouble prone. Things started breaking from the first week I had it and never stopped until I traded it in 18 months later (and it depreciated by nearly 50% in that time period). Never again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.