Too much space used in Hard drive

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank everyone for their input!!

I have verified the disk. I have run ONYX and SMART Utility with no errors found. And now, I have run Apple Hardware Test in Loop Mode overnight (8 hrs), also with no errors.

I read in the Apple hardware Test instructions (the ones that come on the DVD) that "In many cases a clean installation of the MAc OS X fixes recurring problems." Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated greatly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thank everyone for their input!!

I have verified the disk. I have run ONYX and SMART Utility with no errors found. And now, I have run Apple Hardware Test in Loop Mode overnight (8 hrs), also with no errors.

I read in the Apple hardware Test instructions (the ones that come on the DVD) that "In many cases a clean installation of the MAc OS X fixes recurring problems." Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated greatly!

Doing a clean reinstall of OS X may be an option, but honestly it is very rarely necessary. Before doing that, to further troubleshoot the spinning ball issue, I would remove the new RAM and see if that resolves. If so, then the RAM is the obvious culprit. It may simply not play well with the stock RAM. Where did you buy the RAM anyway?

Of course you still have the problem where your hard drive appears to be too full. That does seem to be a bit much space used up if indeed you only have about 50 MB of images on it and nothing else. The app that was recommended earlier, Grand Perspective, may help shed some light.

If all else fails, a reinstall may be in order. A number of us here, myself included, who upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion have wound up doing clean reinstalls of Lion and have found that doing so cleared up a few little issues.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi, thanks.

I got the RAM at B&H. If I do the clean reinstall, would it help if the RAM is actually the issue?

OP
F
Reaction score
My husband also got RAM from B&H in the same order at the same time and he is not having issues. Just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Hi, thanks.

I got the RAM at B&H. If I do the clean reinstall, would it help if the RAM is actually the issue?

Nope, if RAM is the issue, and you reinstall, you can still have that issue.

I had a Mini with a bad RAM stick that was corrupting the hard drive. Reinstall didn't help because the bad RAM just did it again.

OP
F
Reaction score
Not at all.

Ok. I'll check out the RAM. I trust that you think it is still a possibility even after running the Apple Hardware Test for 8 hours in loop mode, extended testing with no errors.

So please be patient and give me step by step instructions on how to remove the RAM and what to do next to see if that was the problem.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I'll check out the RAM. I trust that you think it is still a possibility even after running the Apple Hardware Test for 8 hours in loop mode, extended testing with no errors.

It is less likely, but still worth considering. Using RAM from two different manufacturers just opens a door to quirky behaviors.

So please be patient and give me step by step instructions on how to remove the RAM and what to do next to see if that was the problem.

iMac: How to remove or install memory

BTW… you said you got your iMac in September, but you are running 10.6.8? If that is a new iMac, I believe it should have come with 10.7.0, maybe 10.7.1. You can find out which iMac you have here:
Where can I locate the Model Identifier (Model ID) or Machine Model for my Mac? Are Model Identifiers unique? What are the limitations identifying a specific Mac using the Model Identifier? @ EveryMac.com

The model identifier will clue us in.

I'm leaving town in the morning and won't be back till Sunday, so I'll be bowing out here. Hopefully someone else can pick up behind me and maybe bust out an idea or two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thanks for the tip!

Not sure which tip that is, but here's another one...

Ok. I'll check out the RAM. ... Thanks again!

Instead of replying separately to two (or more) posts, you can combine them into one reply, as I've done here. Simply use the Quote + button for each post you want to reply to, then use the Post Reply button (not Post Quick Reply). That will quote all posts so marked and then you can insert your replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.