Torn Between Mac Mini & iMac -- & Ivy Bridge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro with Retina Display: 2.6GHz, 16GB DDR3, GT650M 1GB, 512GB SSD
First off, I'd like to say hi - as this is my first post on this forum! :Cool:

I've been saving up for a new computer for a few months now and finally have the funds needed to purchase a "high-end" Apple computer. I have narrowed my choices down to either a Mac Mini or an iMac (specs listed below). I really have no knowledge on these types of things - and therefore am having a hard time making a final decision (more of an adrenaline junky than a computer guy!). I was wondering if any of you guys could help point me in the right direction.

iMac: $2509.00

- 3.4 GHz Quad-Core I7
- 8 GB RAM
- 1 TB HDD
- AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
- 27" Built-In Display

Mac Mini: $2256.00

- 2.7 GHz Dual-Core I5
- 8 GB RAM
- 500 GB HDD
- Macbook Air Superdrive
- Magic Mouse
- 27" Thunderbolt Display

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given the above specs, is it worth going the extra $250 or so for the iMac, or will the Mac Mini do fine? I will be using the Mac for a combination of Photoshop, Final Cut, and Pro Tools (among other things like web-browsing, etc). Once again, I really have no idea about how to judge these types of things.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly, is it worth waiting a few months for a potential new iMac/Mini release following the Ivy Bridge processors hitting the market before purchasing?

Thanks guys - I know it's a lot to ask. (Sorry if I posted in the wrong place or if there's already something like this) :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
For what you plan to do, the weak graphics card in the Mac mini eliminates itself as an option. Go with the iMac, no question about it. Whether or not you should wait on the next revision is entirely up to you. The next iMac absolutely will be a more competent model. Whether or not it's worth the wait is another matter entirely. The current iMac is an excellent machine in its own right.

You can save some money by going with the minimum amount of RAM and then buying replacement RAM from a 3rd party. Apple charges a very hefty premium.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Totally agree. In addition the iMac's processor capability is a real step up from the Mini.

Also, in your costings, you didn't mention a monitor; unless, of course, you already have one. This is not an issue with the iMac and the 27 inch model you've selected provides masses of screen space for the sort of editing etc which you plan to undertake.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Also, in your costings, you didn't mention a monitor; unless, of course, you already have one. This is not an issue with the iMac and the 27 inch model you've selected provides masses of screen space for the sort of editing etc which you plan to undertake.

Ian

Actually, he does, which is why the MacMini listed is nearly as much as the iMac. He just calls it "27" Thunderbolt Display"

Now, as to waiting? If you always chase the "Waiting until the updated model" you will never end up buying a computer (or any tech really) as they are always being upgraded and replaced with new models. While there are general time-frames for refreshes on Apple tech, there are no hard and fast rules. If you want a computer, buy a computer. If you want to wait, then wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
You can save some money by going with the minimum amount of RAM and then buying replacement RAM from a 3rd party. Apple charges a very hefty premium.

This.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what you plan to do, the weak graphics card in the Mac mini eliminates itself as an option. Go with the iMac, no question about it. Whether or not you should wait on the next revision is entirely up to you. The next iMac absolutely will be a more competent model. Whether or not it's worth the wait is another matter entirely. The current iMac is an excellent machine in its own right.

Would doing this void my warranty?

What RAM module would you recommend? And would it be worth getting 16GB or just 8?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
No it wouldn't.

Check out RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com or Other World Computing. If you use Crucial, it has a memory checker whereby you input your model of Mac, and it recommends the RAM for you.

As to 16GB or 8GB, get as much as you can afford. If you were to just get 8gb, and bought the iMac, that would leave you with 12gb - Which is still a lot of RAM by most standards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would doing this void my warranty?

What RAM module would you recommend? And would it be worth getting 16GB or just 8?

For your needs, go ahead and jack it up to 16 GB. I upgraded my RAM from OWC and can recommend them. They are very heavily Mac-focused and are held in high regard:
Apple Mac Memory Upgrade Options: Easy Buying Guide, Free Install Videos. Memory backed by Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty.

I would replace the original sticks if you upgrade. I don't recommend mixing/matching RAM from different vendors because it just opens a window to instability if they don't play well together. You can always resell the originals to someone who has the OEM sticks and wants to double it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No it wouldn't.

Check out RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com or Other World Computing. If you use Crucial, it has a memory checker whereby you input your model of Mac, and it recommends the RAM for you.

As to 16GB or 8GB, get as much as you can afford. If you were to just get 8gb, and bought the iMac, that would leave you with 12gb - Which is still a lot of RAM by most standards.

For your needs, go ahead and jack it up to 16 GB. I upgraded my RAM from OWC and can recommend them. They are very heavily Mac-focused and are held in high regard:
Apple Mac Memory Upgrade Options: Easy Buying Guide, Free Install Videos. Memory backed by Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty.

I would replace the original sticks if you upgrade. I don't recommend mixing/matching RAM from different vendors because it just opens a window to instability if they don't play well together. You can always resell the originals to someone who has the OEM sticks and wants to double it.

Thanks guys. Now, "lifeisabeach", as I've said, I know nothing about computers or their parts, so what would the advantage of buying one of the more expensive modules over a cheaper one, given they are equal in memory? And is there a specific one you'd think would work best/are there things to look for while choosing a RAM module?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If a moderator could approve my last post that'd be awesome! ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys. Now, "lifeisabeach", as I've said, I know nothing about computers or their parts, so what would the advantage of buying one of the more expensive modules over a cheaper one, given they are equal in memory? And is there a specific one you'd think would work best/are there things to look for while choosing a RAM module?

Bargain bin components are often made of lower quality and are less stable at a given speed vs a more reputable brand. It's not necessary to spend crazy dollars to be sure you are getting reliable RAM. Just stick to what we recommend and you should be a-ok.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.