iMessage

Reaction score
I have a question about using iMessage across numerous devices. My wife uses her iPhone and I have recently began texting with her using my iPad. We both have and share the same apple ID so under iMessage settings on both devices the registered email is the same email.

The problem I am having is that when someone texts my wife's phone I am receiving them on the iPad. I realize that this is a functionality built into iMessage so that a person can start a texting conversation with their iPhone and continue it with a different apple device. But I don't want this to happen as I want to use the iPad as a solo device.

Any suggestions on what I need to do?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have a question about using iMessage across numerous devices. My wife uses her iPhone and I have recently began texting with her using my iPad. We both have and share the same apple ID so under iMessage settings on both devices the registered email is the same email.

The problem I am having is that when someone texts my wife's phone I am receiving them on the iPad. I realize that this is a functionality built into iMessage so that a person can start a texting conversation with their iPhone and continue it with a different apple device. But I don't want this to happen as I want to use the iPad as a solo device.

Any suggestions on what I need to do?

You need a separate Apple ID

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
That's stupid. Leave it to apple....

How stupid?
You already observed that iMessage is keyed to an email account and can be accessed from different devices. If you want to keep iMessage streams separate you use separate email accounts.
You can continue to share the same iTunes account . . . So what's the big problem with that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.