tired of reseting p-ram ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (mid 2010) 2.4ghz 8gb ram 500gb hd and way better ui settings that yours
Ok so i own the white macbook (mid 2010) I spilled coffee on the thing and when i started it up the sound does not work and neither does any video all video does is show my wallpaper and sound gets the x and cannot go up or down...well in order to get around this i have found that i have to reset the p-ram every time that i start the dam thing then go into the terminal and disable the keyboard and use an external on cause the shift and other buttons are stuck down from the coffee spill :( ...i just ordered a new topcase keyboard and all that jazz for it but could this be a logic board problem or will the new keyboard fix this issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Coffee + electronics = death.

Indeed it is/will be a logic board problem as coffee is very acidic stuff.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (mid 2010) 2.4ghz 8gb ram 500gb hd and way better ui settings that yours
well that sucks i have been using the mac for the past 7 months and it runs perfectly ...as long as i hold (cmmd option p r) at the same time when i power it on and reset the p-ram so i was hoping that it may just be the keyboard but if i have to replace the logicboard i may as well get another mac..but on the other hand i guess as long as i reset da p-ram every time i can survive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
You probably need a whole new logic board which will be around 600 dollars depending on the processor. You would be better off to get a new computer instead. How much coffee did you spill on the MacBook?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i spilled a very minimal amount of coffee on the thing i spilled the cup and it splattered on to the keyboard and went behind the keys..i just honestly dont even know what exactly the p-ram is or why reseting it makes the mac run fine but it does i have tried taking the topcase off and cleaning with rubbing alchol and that did nothing i still have to reset the thing every time i start up and i thougt that maybe some how some weird combo of keys was disabling my sound and video and when i reset the pram it somehow magicaly fixed it i just switched to mac last year so i dont know alot about how they work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Try holding the power button and you will hear a long beep and then the fans and then the normal chime and see if that fixes it. I am pretty sure that it may be the logic board.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when it is off or when it is on?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I did it with it on and quite obviously it turned off..sooooo.I did it while off and no long beep but it took unusually long to boot and when.it was done it went back to the no sound no video crud sooooo I believe that you are correct......I guess it's still functional as long as I reset the pram when I boot it and man..logic board that really really sucks..thank you for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it may suck but the solution is simple. Keep drinks well away from all computers.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wwoooooo!!!

Got my topcase/keyboard and switched them out and it started up quickly and sound and audio works not sure how the keyboard affected the sound and vid but it did...not the logic board wew..!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.