Garmin device shows two items in Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro i7, 2.2 ghz, 8 gb RAM, 750 gb HDD
Very soon after I got my MacBook Pro with Lion, I plugged in my Garmin Edge 800 GPS device. It only showed the Garmin device in the left side of the Finder window. Unfortunately, I forgot to properly eject it first and just unplugged the USB cable. A warning message popped up and I dismissed it. Every time the Garmin is plugged in now, Finder will show the Garmin but it will also show some cryptic device called 10-11551-00 and both must be ejected to unplug the Garmin. All other devices appear normally in Finder.

I've only been a Mac user for a few months. This may be a common issue and everyone else knows how to fix it but I Googled and couldn't find the right article. Would appreciate some advice. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of the extra 10-11551-00 thing so only the Garmin shows up in Finder?

Thanks for any help.

John

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
moved thread to "other hardware and peripherals". Doesn't belong in Schweb's Lounge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Not properly ejecting the device probably corrupted the file that will normally tell the Mac/PC the device is plugged into to hide the system partition of the device's internal storage in the Finder/Explorer.

If it's still working as it is, so long as you never modify the contents of that "10-11551-00" partition it should be fine...

In answer to your original question, I'm not aware of any way to re-hide it; but - like I said - so long as you don't mess with it, it shouldn't matter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.