Firmware update disables Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently let apple change my MacBook Pro 13" firmware version to: MBP71.0039.B0E which has disabled the bootcamp partition. Initially I found the error when the Bless tool would not allow me to switch to windows. I attempted to use bootcamp to reformat the partition and start over. Boot camp failed to run due to an incompatible version of Boot firmware. I took this thing to the apple store near me and they thought reformatting the hard drive would fix the problem. Lion OSX 10.7.3 was reinstalled, and the problem persists. Bootcamp does not operate. I've run all updates and also attempted to re-run the firmware installer, but it states that "This software is not supported on your system." Before I run back to the store again, has anyone here run into this?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Initially I found the error when the Bless tool would not allow me to switch to windows.

It sounds like from the above that you were running rEFIt as your boot loader? In any event, a firmware update should not have disabled the Boot Camp assistant. Did you try setting up a partition for Windows using Disk Utility and then booting with the Windows DVD and install that way?

Why don't you see if that works before going back to the Apple store. Also, before doing anything else reset the PRAM to see if that clears it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. Have fun and visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.