Safari and VLC not working?!? HELP!

Reaction score
Hey, I've been having a problem recently that's really getting on my nerves. Nearly two weeks ago, Safari suddenly stopped launching properly. It would launch but no webpage would load (with the screen remaining white) and a constantly spinning beach ball. I can still use links in the taskbar and open history, preferences etc. but no webpages are loading. I also noticed that the fan became immediately louder.

I noticed in Activity Monitor that "WebProcess" was using about 97% of CPU. I've never noticed this process before. Each time I quit and relaunched Safari, the problem persisted and the process was duplicated. This meant that I could have 5 or 6 "WebProcess"s, all running at 97% CPU. I had to manually quit each instance in Activity Monitor (they did not close with Safari.

I was stuck with this for a couple of days, during which time, I also discovered that VLC refused to launch, with the logo appearing on the dock and the blue indicator flashing incessantly. No windows appeared. I went looking for software that I had recently installed and found a Pref Pane called CodeMeter that had been installed with some software that I ended up deleting. I downloaded and ran an uninstaller and the problem was fixed! Both Safari and VLC operated perfectly.

However, about 5 days ago, the problem suddenly came back without any warning. Exactly the same symptoms in Safari and VLC. I've tried everything: I've rerun the CodeMeter uninstaller, disabled extensions, wiped Safari preferences, cleared website data.... nothing is making a difference. Everything else is working fine. I've been using Chrome instead.

Today, I clicked a link in Apple Mail, and it opened it in Safari (as it is still set as default browser) and somehow it loaded and worked fine. However when I quit and tried reopening from the dock, it was still not working. I managed for a few minutes to launch Safari using links in mail, but this method has now also failed. I'm very confused, and I can't find anyone else who has had the same problem. I'd REALLY appreciate some help, I'm getting very frustrated. Thanks in advance!

C

P.S. I'm using a MacBook Pro on 10.7.3. Safari is version 5.1.3 and VLC is 2.0.0 (I think).

Reaction score
Me to!!!!

I am having the exact same issue for the same length of time. All I know is it must be something to do with downloading 10.7.3 D: Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Im having to use Chrome and REALPLAYER :'(

OP
C
Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue for the same length of time. All I know is it must be something to do with downloading 10.7.3 D: Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Im having to use Chrome and REALPLAYER :'(

hmmm, good to know it's not just me.... this really needs to be sorted out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
To both of you, if you used Software Update in Lion to go to 10.7.3, download the combo update from OS X Lion Update 10.7.3 (Client Combo) and run it.
Sometimes using Software Update confuses things, and applying the combo should sort it out.
There was one occasion a while ago where I had to run the combo update twice to get things right.

Hope this helps,

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
C
Reaction score
okay, downloading now, i'll let you know if it changes things.... thanks!

OP
C
Reaction score
nope, hasn't made a difference unfortunately.... it might have to wait until 10.7.4....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
So sorry to hear that, I was convinced it would work.
Hopefully somebody with a little more knowledge will come along soon and help.

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
C
Reaction score
Just uninstalled the Refog monitoring component from inside the program and after a restart everything is back to normal!!! Thank you so much aibkaresz! I'm typing this on Safari! I'm going to contact Refog and let them know there's a conflict. Cheers for the help. :)

Reaction score
Well you are welcome, glad it helped you too :) i guess it's a revenge for spying :D just kidding

Cheers

Reaction score
AWESOME AWESOME EPICALLY AWESOME!!! :D Thanks aibkaresz you are Awesome....and a little bit Epic! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.