• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's 'iPad 3' rumored to have Siri, dual-core A5X chip, 1080p camera

Reaction score
Apple's 'iPad 3' rumored to have Siri, dual-core A5X chip, 1080p camera

A new report offers a picture claimed to be the front glass panel for Apple's next iPad, and also claims the third-generation device will feature Siri voice control, a dual-core "A5X" processor, and a 1080p camera with image stabilization.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
The lack of a quad core processor is mildly disappointing, but that screen and camera are big pluses.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The rumors of a quad-core cpu had me sold...so I'm a bit disappointed as well!:( Still have to see what the final specs turn out to be...fingers crossed!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm betting 720p at best. 1080p isn't really all that noticeably better and it would save a little on battery power. Plus you know how notorious Apple is for small, incremental increases in specs.

Siri would be a cool feature for the iPad. Can't wait to see what it has so I can finally sell my 1st gen and upgrade. :)

Reaction score
Siri would be a cool feature for the iPad. Can't wait to see what it has so I can finally sell my 1st gen and upgrade. :)

Siri would probably be one of the factors of me ditching my first gen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
1080>720. Always! It's only minimally better on small screens, or anything that is capable of viewing an image of whatever resolution your camera can capture. Why limit yourself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in MacBook Pro 2.8ghz i7 8gb ram, iphone 3gs 16gb, iphone 4 32gb, iphone 4s 32gb, Apple tv 3rd gen
Siri is what is going to sell the iPad 3. i would like to see LTE.

Reaction score
I would just be content with a retina display and faster processor. Both of these will consume a lot more power, however, and the battery has to follow suit. It's not just a matter of putting in a new feature or technology. Everything else that supports the feature also has to be upgraded.

That is why there is no way all the upgrades being mentioned in the rumor mills are going to be implemented. You can't engineer all that stuff being rumored in one year. It won't happen. Period.

Also, outside of introducing completey new systems, Apple(or any manufactuer) has never improved a product by leaps and bounds from previous iterations. It is usually one or two major features that are added and a tweaking of the system performance. Some of the things being rumored would fall under a complete overhaul and a new design, not feature or display upgrades.

My bet is on the sensible rumors -- a new higher-res display to accomodate 1080p, but probably not a full retina display. A full-resolution retina display equal to the one on the Iphone is going to eat power like no tomorrow and will require a serious battery to accomodate. A faster processor will have to accompany any new display. The better camera to go along with the new high-res display also makes sense. Anything else beyond this will likely be just minor system or software tweaks. You read some of the rumors out there and you are being told the new device will also include a beer dispenser and microwave oven.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I would just be content with a retina display and faster processor. Both of these will consume a lot more power, however, and the battery has to follow suit. It's not just a matter of putting in a new feature or technology. Everything else that supports the feature also has to be upgraded.

That is why there is no way all the upgrades being mentioned in the rumor mills are going to be implemented. You can't engineer all that stuff being rumored in one year. It won't happen. Period.

Also, outside of introducing completey new systems, Apple(or any manufactuer) has never improved a product by leaps and bounds from previous iterations. It is usually one or two major features that are added and a tweaking of the system performance. Some of the things being rumored would fall under a complete overhaul and a new design, not feature or display upgrades.

My bet is on the sensible rumors -- a new higher-res display to accomodate 1080p, but probably not a full retina display. A full-resolution retina display equal to the one on the Iphone is going to eat power like no tomorrow and will require a serious battery to accomodate. A faster processor will have to accompany any new display. The better camera to go along with the new high-res display also makes sense. Anything else beyond this will likely be just minor system or software tweaks. You read some of the rumors out there and you are being told the new device will also include a beer dispenser and microwave oven.

I disagree. From the screen specs, we know it won't be a "retina" display as defined by Apple, but it will be significantly better than what is available now. Anyways, the specs we've seen or have been rumored aren't that unbelievably advanced for them to not be on the iPad3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
everything is cherry for those who don't own an iPad [[[this guy]]]

Reaction score
I disagree. From the screen specs, we know it won't be a "retina" display as defined by Apple, but it will be significantly better than what is available now. Anyways, the specs we've seen or have been rumored aren't that unbelievably advanced for them to not be on the iPad3.

A higher res screen is almost a given. So is a faster processor. Most of the other rumors are way out there, as are most of the rumors that usually surround a pre-release. A lot of rumors often seem to be things people want to see rather than what is really practical or reasonable, given the short timeframes between releases.

One thing that definitely won't be included is the rumored retina display. They may call it a retinq display but it won't have the same resolution as found on the iPhone. Unless, of course, apple has found a way to circumvent the conservation of energy or can produce a high capacity battery small enough to fit into the ipad and have enough charge to power the screen and the new processsor required and not deplete itself after an hour of use-or cause so much heat that the device scorches your hands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
A higher res screen is almost a given. So is a faster processor. Most of the other rumors are way out there, as are most of the rumors that usually surround a pre-release. A lot of rumors often seem to be things people want to see rather than what is really practical or reasonable, given the short timeframes between releases.

One thing that definitely won't be included is the rumored retina display. They may call it a retinq display but it won't have the same resolution as found on the iPhone. Unless, of course, apple has found a way to circumvent the conservation of energy or can produce a high capacity battery small enough to fit into the ipad and have enough charge to power the screen and the new processsor required and not deplete itself after an hour of use-or cause so much heat that the device scorches your hands.

The "retina" has been a rumor since before the iPad2 came out. It is obvious that the new display won't be "retina" compared to the pixel count of the iphone4/4S, but it's no longer a rumor! The specs have been released by many online articles as well as parts vendors. One thing to note is that Apple's definition of what a retina screen is is almost totally dependent upon the viewing distance. Because of this, I believe it will still be called a retina display, since all you need for it to fit the definition is for your eye to not be able to distinguish the individual pixels.

Which rumors seem "way out there?" I haven't heard of anything that is way out there, unless you count a rumor created from viewer comments.

Reaction score
Ridiculous rumors-8 inch ipads, an A6 chipset ,
4g for both Verizon & AT&T, a new dock connector, etc etc.

All the above would take longer than a year to implement . There still is no 4 G for iPhone and 4g is a battery hog - the A6 chip as well. It ain't happening this cycle. No way, no how. Just putting in a new high res display and not cutting down on battery life is enough of a challenge. And they will add 4g and an A6 quad chip on top of that? Don't know what planet some of the rumor makers live on. You would need a battery bigger than the ipad to power that thing for more than an hour of use.

Iterations are always incremental improvements in one or two areas.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Ridiculous rumors-8 inch ipads, an A6 chipset ,
4g for both Verizon & AT&T, a new dock connector, etc etc.

All the above would take longer than a year to implement . There still is no 4 G for iPhone and 4g is a battery hog - the A6 chip as well. It ain't happening this cycle. No way, no how.
How so? Apple went from a single core A4 in the iPad 1 to a dual core A5 in the iPad 2 and battery life didn't plummet. Adding more cores doesn't necessarily use more power. Nvidia has proven that with the Tegra 3 which, if I understand correctly, sips at the battery while providing four cores. They both use the same instruction set as well (ARM v7) so if Nvidia can do it, so can Apple.

Second, more cores doesn't mean they'll all be used. I'm willing to bet that most applications in the App Store aren't multi-core aware.

Reaction score
They didn't put in a high res display. The power requirements for such a display are formidable by itself. Adding an A6 chipset and 4g at the same as a higher re display probably increases power demands beyond available battery specs available for a device as small and thin as an ipad. Until battery battery technology catches up you won't fit that all in an ipad and get useable power beyond 2 hours.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Fair enough. I agree on the screen (since it takes up the largest chunk of the battery's power) - I was more interested in the processor part. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I greatly disagree with just about everything. As vansmith mentioned, a faster multi core processor doesn't mean it's going to use them all, or even consume battery at a faster. It has the potential to use the battery faster, but that's also due to it being able to handle much more content that the user is opting to do, such as iMovie editing, and the new Photoshop editing app. As for the ridiculous rumors, that's definitely not what I was expecting you to say, I thought you would be referring to something like hdmi out, sd-card slot, true 3D-display, CD-drive, and other obvious things. Those rumors that you mention just happen to either follow natural upgrades, or are based of what has been seen through product sneak peeks. I'm sure they could upgrade everything on the iPad2, to iPad3 screen and processor specs, while still using the old battery, and it would still hold a similar battery life compared to other tablets.

4g on Verizon and AT&T- Why's that ridiculous? Both provide that service.
New Dock-Why's that ridiculous? It's been known for about a year now that new European standards might push Apple to use a standard USB connection, and we've seen info from Apple reports on it too.
A6 processor- Ridiculous? Why would that be ridiculous? It follows the upgrade paths of recent processors on iOS devices. Probably the opposite of ridiculous.

Ridiculous is probably a wrong word to use.

Just saying.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sometimes upgrades are incremental...and sometimes they can be quantum leaps!:)

The difficulty is predicting when each will occur!;)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I personally find the usefulness of a quad core processor dubious in a tablet-style device. I mean, it's not like we're crunching numbers or running Photoshop on a tablet. Heck, most desktop apps aren't able to take advantage of two cores, lets alone four. And I've yet to see a game or an app that runs slowly on the A4, let alone the A5.

Now, obviously if you build it, the apps will come... but again, it's not like the current iPad is wanting for processing power - at least not in my experience. I'd be just as happy with a clock speed bump on the existing A5. If you want to see a real performance increase, that's what will give you something tangible.

Reaction score
Exactly. These are not desktops. They are not even laptops. They are portable tablets. If you want the kind of processing power afforded by such things, you should currently be looking at a Macbook air, not an Ipad. Eventually, technology will allow tablets to become much more sophisticated. However, power is the biggest issue in such devices. You don't want a tablet with a battery that weighs down the system or makes it bulky. A battery is one of the biggest weight and space hogs in such systems.

When I read all the articles containing rumored upgrades to the Ipad, that is always my first thought--where the heck is the power going to come from? It's going to be another one or two iterations before battery technology allows you to put all this stuff people want into a thin and compact tablet device and end up with something that doesn't drain within the hour. People tend to overlook power demands when discussing mixing things like cores and processors and high resolution screens. It's not one component that's the problem, its integrating it all into a useable package with decent battery life. Apple is good but they cannot get around the laws of physics. There is currently no battery in existence that can fit inside an ipad, keep weight in check, power all the stuff people want and return any practical battery life.

It's a tradeoff and Apple is going to put out the one or two new features that most people want, just like they always do and just like any other manfuacturer does. The number one thing people likely want to see most, and the thing that will draw in new customers and get upgrades, is a higher res screen. An A5 processor will likely be used in conjunction with the new display. 4G and all that other stuff will come later--4G is too power intensive and would compete too heavily with the power demands of a high res screen and new processor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.