System running slow!

Reaction score
Hi i have a MacBook Pro, bought late 2007, which apart from a problem with some faulty internal parts affecting the screen in 2010, later replaced for free, has been a great little trooper, however of late i note that it is getting generally slower and slower, and keeps losing internet connection, and or going very slow when online!
Im running MAc OS X 10.7.3. I also noticed today in System Preferences, Software Updates, Installed Software, that i seem to have 6 copies of ITunes, the current latest and then copies of the older versions! is this normal!?
I have Tech Tool Deluxe and it has been saying for a while that there is a 'glitch' somewhere and keeps closing itself when i try to find it! Not quite sure if its just old and struggling or there are other problems!? I have about 15G of memory spare on HD.
Any ideas? Obviously I'm not too great when it comes to these things! ANy help appreciated Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Hi i have a MacBook Pro, bought late 2007, which apart from a problem with some faulty internal parts affecting the screen in 2010, later replaced for free, has been a great little trooper, however of late i note that it is getting generally slower and slower, and keeps losing internet connection, and or going very slow when online!

Hello, and welcome.
Slow internet speed is likely an issue with your network and/or your internet provider. Perhaps a poor connection, weak signal, something like that. I don't know what setup you have so it's hard to say where to start with that one. Most basic thing would be resetting your modem.

Im running MAc OS X 10.7.3. I also noticed today in System Preferences, Software Updates, Installed Software, that i seem to have 6 copies of ITunes, the current latest and then copies of the older versions! is this normal!?

Yup, normal. It shows the incremental updates to your software as you've gone along over the years.

I have Tech Tool Deluxe and it has been saying for a while that there is a 'glitch' somewhere and keeps closing itself when i try to find it! Not quite sure if its just old and struggling or there are other problems!?

Don't know about that app, so I'll leave it to someone else but you might want to start with verifying and repairing permissions in Disk Utility.

I have about 15G of memory spare on HD.

If you're experiencing general sluggishness with all your apps (not internet), available HD space could be a problem. 15GB free space may be a lot or it may be a little amount, depending on your HDD capacity. What size HDD do you have? Ideally, you'll want around 15% - 20% free space and also think about adequate RAM for whatever apps you use.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for the welcome :)

The machine only had a 160GB HD; and 4GB RAM.

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB

It seems to lose its connection a lot, even though says connected and i have to disable and then turn back the wireless, the router usually seems fine though occasionally i check it and turn it on and off! It gets sluggish when trying to do few things through wireless at once usually, if checking emails, chatting on fb and on iTunes store lets say, though not usually all at at once, though i can usually download stuff in general just fine, and usually quite fast! Also usually the same for streaming!

Is there a way to get rid of some unused or unwanted software or change setting to make it more efficient? I think it has gotten worse since i upgraded to LION tbh! :(

Ive just been having a 'play' with the disc utility and i had couple of wrong permissions which were repaired however when i tried to verify the disk it said 'incorrect number of file hard links' and that the drive was corrupt. that is the one with my software on, not the one named as 'Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 Media', Don't know if any of this will make sense?! What should i do next? It told me to restore from a HD but not sure where or how to do this! :( Plus worried i may lose files :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.