Is my Airport Express causing slowdown to my existing home network?

Reaction score
Hi. This is my first post. I tried to research my particular problem, but every individual issue seems unique from the next, so I'm writing this in hopes of getting some input into what my specific problem might be.

I have DSL. I use a "Quest" brand modem (Model on back indicates a Actiontec M1000). I have that hardwired to a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router.

This has been my exact setup for about a year. I run 2 laptops, 2 Roku's and a Wii on my network. I have had good luck with this setup. Just as an example, I do not experience the picture of HD content on Netflix going form looking fine, to becoming "grainy" at times. And Youtube videos (as long as they are fully loaded and not "buffering") all seem to play fine.

I just added a Airport Express to my network 2 days ago. I got it to connect to my receiver so I can play itunes through my laptop from within my home network. Laptop is a MacBook Pro from last year. I was successful at doing this, and it works very good from anywhere in my home. I think the AE is an excellent product and it does exactly what I want it to do.

However, the Netflix and Youtube examples I listed above, with the HD Netflix streaming being fine and not grainy, and the Youtube playing fine, is not the case anymore. Basically, the Netflix picture is as often grainy as it is clear. And a youtube video will seem to be playing fine, but every 10 seconds or so, there is a very quick pause in the audio/video. Other Youtube videos will actually just not play smoothly, they will be jittery.

Is it possible that the AE would cause this sort of "interference" with my wireless network? Certainly, it would seem it has, however, I'm thinking that there may be something I can do to fix it?? The way things are now is not going to cut it.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I really would appreciate it very much.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I've noticed the same thing when I have the airport express running on my network at home. For some reason it was bringing everything to a screaming halt and while a device was streaming audio, internet access just went splat! Now the network at home is a little more over the top than most so I had more options available to me so I ended up shifting the airport express onto its own VLAN and creating a wireless network mapped to that VLAN which separated the problem so I still have a functioning network on one side but the one with the airport on it still doesn't work right. Problem here is the only way to stream media is to be on the same network which has almost no internet access :( so its kinda irritating nonetheless

At least im not the only one having issues with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.