Parallels Windows XP - Slow my iMac - Memory requirements

Reaction score
Hi

Is 4Gb ram enough for Parallels and XP on my iMac.

When I first installed it it seemed quick enough but as Ive used it more it does slow my mac down to a crawl at times.

I have a 3.1GHz i5 27" with 4gbyte of ram.

Is the £160 i need to upgrade to 8Gbyte a worthwhile investment.

Thanks for any advice.

Zip

Reaction score
I upgraded from 4g to 8g and it only cost me $45.00. Check out Crucial.

BTW, I have a MacBook Pro, but i assume it's easier on an iMac.

Reaction score
Short answer - 4 GB should be fine. I've run XP in a vm on a MBA with only 2 GB of RAM and it worked fine. I would do the install and then see whether the performance is to your expectations; you can always add RAM later if need be.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Another big question - beyond the RAM - how many cores have you assigned to your VM?

If you have (for example) a dual core machine and assign 2 cores to the vm (same goes for a quad core if you assign 4 cores to the vm), you'll end up with issues and terrible performance (both on the host OS and guest).

OP
Z
Reaction score
Hi

The default..I think!! I can't see a setting in Parallels to alter the no. of cores...

Put the full12Gb ram in and it does seem remarkably quick, even given windows and extra 1Gb to play with and with a few programs open I still have 6.3Gb free..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
This is my biggest issue with virtualizing hardware. The performance hit is felt on both the host OS as well as the parasite OS.

Yes, the use of the word "parasite" was intentional

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.