Purchase G5 now or wait for Intel chip

Reaction score
I was wondering is it a good time to switch from windows to Mac now? I want to switch because I really like the Mac performer compare to Windows base units. At first I was just going to purchase the Mac for Final Cut Pro only but after working with other Apps I really like the Mac's system operates and would like to use it all the time. My main question is will this be a good investment now because this time next year all Mac's will have the Intel CPU?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
There has been so much discussion on this, it's ridiculous, but the greatest consensus seems to be: never wait for a machine if you need it now. There will ALWAYS be more powerful technology coming out. It's just inevitable. On another note, the first general of Intel boxes could be riddled with problems due to third party software manufacturers not having the time/resources/inclination to convert their software to run well on Intel quickly enough.

U

UncSki1218

yeah..somone should make a thread about intel questions. my feeling is the same...there is always something thats better. i got my 3g ipod and then the click wheel came out a week later. i got my imac g5 and the one with the isight came out a month later. if you kept waiting for the next model, you'll never have anything. especially the intel macs. you'll see them and decide to wait for the bugs and problems to get fixed. you'll be waiting for a rev 2 intel mac which is a ferw years ahead.

E

enrigonz

if you're going to wait you can wait forever, there's always something better "about to come out", technology changes day after day, I say if you need it now, go for it and don't look back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'm with the consensus on this one. If you _need_ it now, buy it now.

This time next year not all Macs will be Intel based. When Jobs announced the transition, he indicated it would be complete around the end of 2007. About two years from now!

The latest speculation and rumors are the laptops will be first and perhaps the Mac mini too. Personally I don't expect to see a MacIntel tower until early 2007. I believe Apple wants to complete the transition as quickly as possible.

Remember that most people keep their machines for several years, unless driven by performance needs or wants. So while others are waiting, you'll be using and learning the Mac OS X experience ahead of the curve.

By the way, I don't consider computer hardware good investments. They are _all_ losers. Apple currently holds it's 'used' resale value well, but I have to wonder how that will be in two years from now. Anyway, the real investment is in learning to use the system and applications well and taking advantage of them. This is normally where I'd lay on the "Mac has no viruses, worms, etc" rant, but there are other posts here on that subject. Time not spent dealing with that crap is time spent productively on what you want to get done, there by giving you a better return on your 'investment'.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
UncSki1218 said:
you'll see them and decide to wait for the bugs and problems to get fixed. you'll be waiting for a rev 2 intel mac which is a ferw years ahead.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, methinks. Unless by "a few" you mean something more like "two."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.