I threw away my mac mail away what a knucklehead

Reaction score
Yet another PC guy throwing away the mac mail I con thinking I was deleting just the shortcut. Yet do I find I HAVE DELETED IT.....what a idiot! Apple did send me a copy of mac OS X 10.5.6 Install cd. The mac is running 10.5.8. Is there a way from the CD to reinstall the mail application from this CD? I thought it was a shortcut on the desktop I threw it away and promptly emptied the trashcan without a care in the world STOOPID!!!!!! Please help

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Need a bit more clarification here.

Did you pull the Mail icon off the Dock, or did you actually go into the Applications folder, find the Mail icon and trash it? And if the latter, did you check the Trash can?

It's not as easy to trash an application as you might think... now, a lot of people mistake having "deleted" an application for simply dragging it off the dock (at which point, you'll see a little "poof" animation - but the application is still there, you just removed its shortcut from the dock).

OP
N
Reaction score
ehh I think.......think I pull it from the dock...i think....god I hope!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Browse out to the Applications folder. See it in there? Give it a double-click.

Now, it should open. Right-click the icon in the Dock and click "Keep in Dock". That should do it.

OP
N
Reaction score
uuuhhhhh well it's not in the app folder and the trash can is empty DANGIT!!!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hit Command + Space. This will open the Spotlight field in the upper-right corner. In the field, type "Mail". It should show you the Mail icon if it's still present on your hard disk. If it is, click on it. Then, it should pop up on the Dock. Right-click on it and choose "Keep in Dock".

OP
N
Reaction score
OH MAN ...I think I really screwed up....I don't see it in spotlight but, that was a cool trick I didn't know before. Am I SOL?

OP
N
Reaction score
OK cool were getting somewhere!!!! Yee haw thank you BTW. We now have the icon but...it tells me I can't use this version on Mail I have tried to do a "update software" and it tells me all me software is up to date.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I haven't looked recently to see if the OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update is still available at the Apple Web Site, but if it is, you might try downloading and running it, unless CWA107 comes back before that with some better idea.

OP
N
Reaction score
HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!! It's alive it updated and is DLing my mail as we speak right now! Thank you ever so very much! I have never run into so many way nice people as I have on this forum! Thank you thank you thank you fist bump and a high five!!! Won't be doing that again! I hope someday to pay it back to someone else as you have done with me! Thank you again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!! It's alive it updated and is DLing my mail as we speak right now! Thank you ever so very much! I have never run into so many way nice people as I have on this forum! Thank you thank you thank you fist bump and a high five!!! Won't be doing that again! I hope someday to pay it back to someone else as you have done with me! Thank you again

Interesting. When I got my first iMac 21 months ago one of the first things to happen was almost instantaneous Internet connection and Mail was quickly up and running. I tried to install Thunderbird but, after a few attempts, gave up and have been using Mail ever since. When I set up my wife's new iMac last weekend I set up Thunderbird sucessfully but, after having several attempts to send e-mails rejected I gave up and installed Mail. It has the advantage that the Address book interacts with Mail and everything else including iPhone.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Sweet. Good deal.

Now make sure you double-check that trashcan before you empty it going forward ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.