Iphone 4s.. cannot hear anyone during calls, only works on speaker phone

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an Iphone 4S and I cannot hear anyone when I make calls, I cannot even hear the ringing when I'm making a call, but they can hear me. Also, it works perfectly fine on speaker phone.

I know people say to unplug and plug it in to make it not think that there is a head set in but I have tried this and it will NOT WORK!! When I adjust volume the "headphone" tab is not highlighted so I don't think it thinks I have headphones in!?

WHAT CAN I DO !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't know what the "headphone tab" is that you are referring to. If the headphones are plugged in, or if your iPhone "thinks" they are, then when you adjust the volume, the HUD that pops up to show the volume level will say "ringer volume (headphone)". Or something very similar to that.

Otherwise, it sounds to me like the top speaker is not working. That would explain why you only hear audio over speakerphone. You can try restoring the software via iTunes to rule out it being software-related, but otherwise you will need to take it to Apple or your carrier.

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't know what the "headphone tab" is that you are referring to. If the headphones are plugged in, or if your iPhone "thinks" they are, then when you adjust the volume, the HUD that pops up to show the volume level will say "ringer volume (headphone)". Or something very similar to that.

Otherwise, it sounds to me like the top speaker is not working. That would explain why you only hear audio over speakerphone. You can try restoring the software via iTunes to rule out it being software-related, but otherwise you will need to take it to Apple or your carrier.

Thanks for the reply, it does not say anything about headphones when I adjust volume!! Now what? I am restoring as we speak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reaction score
Yes Apple should swap it, mine had exact same fault.
Took it back and they swapped it on the spot after showing them the issue, has happened to a few 4S in australia that I know of.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes Apple should swap it, mine had exact same fault.
Took it back and they swapped it on the spot after showing them the issue, has happened to a few 4S in australia that I know of.

I bought this phone off someone on the internet, it was locked to Bell (my provider) and it was brand new unopened, I was the first to activate it, will they replace it?

Reaction score
I bought this phone off someone on the internet, it was locked to Bell (my provider) and it was brand new unopened, I was the first to activate it, will they replace it?
There's no guarantee of course, it does not matter who owns it, as long as it's under warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 4S, Iphone 3GS, 13'' Macbook Pro
It's a hardware problem, take it to the apple store and request for a new one like what I've just done.

Reaction score
Question

Hey guys, I have an Iphone 4S and I cannot hear anyone when I make calls, I cannot even hear the ringing when I'm making a call, but they can hear me. Also, it works perfectly fine on speaker phone.

I know people say to unplug and plug it in to make it not think that there is a head set in but I have tried this and it will NOT WORK!! When I adjust volume the "headphone" tab is not highlighted so I don't think it thinks I have headphones in!?

WHAT CAN I DO !!
I have the same problem with my phone.Did you fix the problem and how?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.