Transfer files from external drive to Mac Pro

Reaction score
I just switched from a pc to a Mac Pro, and I can't figure out how to download files from my external drive to my Mac. Where is the list of my devices?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is it that you're trying to do? Perhaps instead of "download" you mean you wish to copy files from the external drive to your Mac Pro? If that's what you're saying, then just attach the external drive to the Pro via USB. The external drive should mount (appear) on the desktop of the Pro. When it does you should be able to drag and drop from the drive to the Pro.

Note that if the external drive is formatted to NTFS you will not be able to write to it from the Mac but you will be able to read the files and copy them over. However, they may copy over as "read only".

OP
K
Reaction score
Success!

(1) Yes, I meant "copy files," not "download." (I'm a baby boomer who can't seem to learn and retain computer jargon.)
(2) I located the icon of my external drive in Finder, as you instructed--under Applications.
(3) Thank you for explaining how to drag and drop files. I now have them on my desktop and am not sure how to store them but assume the Mac Pro user's manual has instructions.

Your quick response is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
Finder. It will show all your devices and file system like your are used to seeing in Windows. I know because I'm about two weeks ahead of you on the learning curve. I'm a baby boomer too and so I totally understood what you meant by "download". :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.