How to clean lens for Canon elph camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I wasn't sure if i could place this in the digital photo section or not so I will place it here instead.

I was using my camera under the influence of a lot of drinks and the lens looks like it has more fingerprints than a crime scene. What is the best and safest way to clean the lens?

Thanks for the help on this and I promise not to drink and shoot again ;P

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I moved it here for you. All our "camera wizards" hang out in this forum where you're more likely to get an answer.

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I moved it here for you. All our "camera wizards" hang out in this forum where you're more likely to get an answer.

Thanks buddy!

And thanks in advance to anyone who can help me on this. I hate to goggle this kind of info as you never know if the info is correct :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Micofiber cloth, methyl alcohol, and away... you go.

I've never used tissues, often used a (100% back when you could get them) old soft t-shirt (especially in the field as it were). Microfober is a wonderful invention. Use one part for the 'wet' (damp) pass, and another part to 'buff' when it's evaporated. At least, that's how I roll.

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Micofiber cloth, methyl alcohol, and away... you go.

I've never used tissues, often used a (100% back when you could get them) old soft t-shirt (especially in the field as it were). Microfober is a wonderful invention. Use one part for the 'wet' (damp) pass, and another part to 'buff' when it's evaporated. At least, that's how I roll.

Thanks Dysfunction! I think I bought a cleaning kit a while back for my iPad that has all that included.

Reaction score
You could try cleaning fluid that is designed to be used with glasses. You also need to use a material that is soft and absorbent to soak up the grease laded solution. Lens cleaning tissues I find are not really absorbent enough for this. Look at a Kleenex type tissues, but not those that have additional soothing oils added. You may need to clean the lens several times especially if the finger marks are excessive.

Clean in a circular motion from the center of the lens to the edge.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I wasn't sure if i could place this in the digital photo section or not so I will place it here instead.

I was using my camera under the influence of a lot of drinks and the lens looks like it has more fingerprints than a crime scene. What is the best and safest way to clean the lens?

Thanks for the help on this and I promise not to drink and shoot again ;P

Out of curiosity do the smudges show up in any way on your pictures? Am asking this because I read a BLOG entry a couple of years ago about the impact of scratches and other defects on the front element of a lens. The author posted a shot, and then showed the lens that produced it. The lens looked like it had been hit with a ball peen hammer, but the photo looked pretty good other than being a bit soft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
These are excellent and really easy to carry about. A few other companies make them but this is the original. I have used a pen for years but I see they do more tech stuff now.

LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars

+1
I have one of these. Very handy and compact to carry in the camera bag.

EDIT: I found the article on photos taken with a damaged front lens element. Worth a read.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches

OP
Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies everyone. The photos look great just the lens looks fingerprinty :(

I will look into that pen as well :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.