Hot MacBook Pro early 2012

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
I have an early 2012 (same as late 2011) macbook Pro and as it sits on my desk while I play Minecraft, with a browser up the fans starts spinning a lot and I can feel the heat of the computer on my hands (computer sits closed next to usb keyboard and external monitor.) It is sitting in a Speck see-through enclosure and I was wondering if that would absorb heat making it hotter? If I remove the enclosure for home use will that decrease running temperatures? This only happens when I do stuff like play minecraft (haven't tried Aperture yet). Thanks
BTW the CPU is at 90 degrees F if that helps.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
BTW the CPU is at 90 degrees F if that helps.

90°F is absolutely nothing!!!

Many folks who report being concerned about high temps in their Mac laptops report temps in the 160°F - 180°F range...and even these temps are normal.

Some folks even get temps of 190°F+...and although these temps are getting "high"...the bottom line is...Mac laptops have sensors that will shut the computer off when things get too hot.

So 90°F is really nothing to be concerned about. 90°F is even below normal human body temperature of 98.6°F.;)

- Nick

p.s. Are you sure that temp isn't 90°C? If so...that would make a BIG difference.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Almost positive as the computer is quiet and cool now and it say is around 40 degrees (CPU), I'm using iStat Pro to indicate this. And if these temperatures are normal I feel like one of those over concerned new parents haha. Thanks for the help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Almost positive as the computer is quiet and cool now and it say is around 40 degrees (CPU), I'm using iStat Pro to indicate this. And if these temperatures are normal I feel like one of those over concerned new parents haha. Thanks for the help.

Pretty sure that's celsius. 90º F is nominal, 90º C is definitely warmer than normal - but then, depending on how much load you had on the system at the time, it's not unheard of.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Check your gpu temps as well. Maybe the cpu is relatively cool...but the gpu may be what's getting hot.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.