Menu bar on external monitor

Reaction score
I have recently traded in my much used Dell laptop with Ubuntu for a Macbook Air. Mostly I love it but some things are going to really irritate me for a long time I think.

I want to know how to get application menu bars to sit on my big screen instead of the laptop screen when I am plugged in at the office, with the little screen still active.

(Actually I'd like the menu bar attached to the window where it belongs when I'm working on a big screen to minimise mouse movement but I know that's not going to happen.)

Cheers
J

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Open up System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement > drag the white bar (this is symbolic of the menu bar) to your external monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks - that does it. Small steps - one at a time.
Still working out keyboard shortcuts - especially when using MS Office for Mac.

Open up System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement > drag the white bar (this is symbolic of the menu bar) to your external monitor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.