shutting down

Reaction score
I am new to apple but am liking my macbook pro. I would like to know if there is a way to permanently uncheck the reopen windows on startup box which appears while shutting down the macbook pro. I would like to be able to ask the macbook to shut down and not have to click any more things before getting it to shut down. Thanks for any help you might have.

C

chas_m

Another method: get into the habit of quitting program when you're done using them BEFORE you shut down.

Who shuts down anymore, anyway? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Who shuts down anymore, anyway? :)

I have been wondering about this. When I won't be using my MBP for a while, I'll close the lid to conserve power. That puts it into a sleep mode, right?

What is the best state in which to move the MBP? I often take mine to school with me and want to be sure I'm transporting it safely. Do I need to completely shut down before sticking it in the neoprene case (which gets put in my backpack)?

Thanks =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Another method: get into the habit of quitting program when you're done using them BEFORE you shut down.

Would Time Machine be classed as a program that's running and causing this window to pop up?

Because if I shut down my machine, I make sure all programs have been shut down, yet this box still comes up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is the best state in which to move the MBP? I often take mine to school with me and want to be sure I'm transporting it safely. Do I need to completely shut down before sticking it in the neoprene case (which gets put in my backpack)?

Shut it down before putting into your back pack or school bag. We just recently had a report from a student who transported his MBP in his backpack while it was sleeping. Somehow the machine awoke from sleep, and got very hot while in his backpack. So hot that it warped the bottom case to the point where it had to be replaced.

So again, shut it down. It doesn't take that long to start up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Shut it down before putting into your back pack or school bag. We just recently had a report from a student who transported his MBP in his backpack while it was sleeping. Somehow the machine awoke from sleep, and got very hot while in his backpack. So hot that it warped the bottom case to the point where it had to be replaced.

So again, shut it down. It doesn't take that long to start up.

Geez, that's crazy! I don't use Time Machine but will take the advice anyhow! Thanks for the feedback.

OP
L
Reaction score
reply to cebucity

The fix to facilitate shutting down a MBP by the solution I suggest is a lot easier to do then the solution suggested by Vansmith. That is the only difference. Little Silver

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I thought this was solved by update 10.7.4 ?
I have not updated mine yet but that's what I've read on website
It does but I posted my response well before 10.7.4 came out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
It does but I posted my response well before 10.7.4 came out.

:Oops: My bad. This is an old thread. I didn't noticed the date. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Me, for one.

At work (Windows) we are required to shut down on Fridays.

I haven't the slighting idea why anyone would NOT shut down their machine when done. I certainly do. What is the propose for not doing so? No matter what OS one is using - Linux, MS, OX, Unix. Doesn't make any sense to me. Just what does it gain anyone? But what the heck do I know? I'm still shutting off my Mac when done. I don't care what anyone says.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I haven't the slighting idea why anyone would NOT shut down their machine when done. I certainly do. What is the propose for not doing so? No matter what OS one is using - Linux, MS, OX, Unix. Doesn't make any sense to me. Just what does it gain anyone? But what the heck do I know? I'm still shutting off my Mac when done. I don't care what anyone says.

Ok, since you don't care I won't bother to share why I haven't shut a box down in years. On all the above mentioned os's. Then again, to each their own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
has there more advantage when mac is not shut down compared to shutting it down when not in use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Depends on how quickly you need to resume work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.