How does OS X allocate ram to applications?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, have a question. On XP I notice that a lot of the time, most applications use little ram. If I have 1gb, a tiny program may be 1mb, Word may use 15 and so on. However, on my PowerBook, it seems like applications use tons of ram. Widgets seem to be around 25mb each as well. It seems as though the Mac takes all of your available ram, and allocates it to all running applications, is that correct? I've only been using 1 or 2 widgets because I'm paranoid I'm losing 100mb of ram to them! Thanks for the help!

S

supremeoverlord

most of the RAM that OSX uses is virtual ram, that is hard disk space. Whatever program your are using at the time takes as much real ram as it needs and everthing else makes due with virtual ram, this is why laptops might not be as speedy as slower desktops because of the faster drive it can write virtual ram faster allowing for quicker transitions from real to virtual ram. Very few programs hold onto more ram than they need so don't worry about it. its fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
To the best of my knowledge (someone correct me if wrong) Mac utilize more RAM than PC in cache to avoid diving into the hard drive all the time. I notice on the PC at work its constantly revving and accessing the drive while my Mac at home only revs when I access a large file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
leemoreau said:
Hey everyone, have a question. On XP I notice that a lot of the time, most applications use little ram. If I have 1gb, a tiny program may be 1mb, Word may use 15 and so on. However, on my PowerBook, it seems like applications use tons of ram. Widgets seem to be around 25mb each as well. It seems as though the Mac takes all of your available ram, and allocates it to all running applications, is that correct? I've only been using 1 or 2 widgets because I'm paranoid I'm losing 100mb of ram to them! Thanks for the help!

Check this out
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107918

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
leemoreau said:

Check this out
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107918

Hey Deus I grew up in SA used to love going to Enchanted Rock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
deus_ex_machina said:
Never been out to Enchanted Rock - heard it's awesome. Should go when I have a free weekend :)

Yeah I miss it down there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
IronMac said:
Yeah I miss it down there. So many fresh parks. Pedenales Falls is good too.
You should check this out. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/index.phtml

Pedernales is great - lately i've been visiting Bastrop/Buescher State Parks and the sites off the Blanco just outside of New Braunfels, when weather permits. Beautiful country out here :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.