Video Card Upgrade on a Mac Pro

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a early 08 Mac Pro with an Nvidia 8800gt card in it. I want to upgrade the card to a faster one... Could I just use any PCI Nvidia chip card? LIke even the Evga cards like this one?

A video card used in a Mac Pro needs to be:

- Macintosh compatible
- compatible with a 2008 Mac Pro

The video card you linked is not a Macintosh compatible video card.

If anyone knows any good sights for cards please let me know. thanks!

Also:

-Sight = something that is seen
-Site (or website) = a place on the World Wide Web that contains information about a person, organization, etc., and that usually consists of many Web pages joined by hyperlinks

As far as "sites/websites" for Macintosh video cards...there really aren't many or any good sites. Compatible video cards for the various Mac Pro models are a VERY diverse group...and not all cards are compatible with all Mac Pro models.

The questions that need to be asked are:

- "What video cards are compatible with my Mac Pro?"
- "Of these video cards...which ones are better/faster than my current video card?"
- Then we ask "Where can they be purchased?"

Most compatible video cards for 2008 Mac Pros will be of the "used" variety (not sold new by Apple any longer)...thus the best place to "shop" is e-Bay.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is about my price range but I am not an ATI fan. Do you know of any 1gb Nvidia cards in this price range?

Don't get too picky...there really aren't that many Mac Pro video cards better than the 8800 to choose from...and are still compatible with a 2008 Mac Pro!;)

Although still an ATI product...here's what I would recommend:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/6615718/

Or if you want the higher end version...there's this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/6615719/

AND...if you prefer NVIDIA (and have a bunch of money to spend)...there's this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/PNY/VCQ4000MACPB/

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

In terms of video editing, that quadro card is what a lot of avid techs told me is the best for play back... I doubt I can afford that...

honestly a big reason why I want to upgrade is for gaming. I have a win 7 partition I do a lot of gaming on...would I even notice a difference between the ATI card and my 8800 GT? Isn't ATI not a very good gaming card company?

It's so crazy that the NVIDIA quadro is so expensive. You can get 2gig cards for like 200 for PC..

Since I have to switch to Avid from FCP (thanks apple!) maybe I should just build a very powerful PC??

Someone I know who works for Apple told me there are rumors Apple is discontinuing the Mac Pros soon to completely focus on consumers products fully.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's so crazy that the NVIDIA quadro is so expensive.

Yes...and that NVIDIA card has been around forever as well...you would think the price would come down on it!

You can get 2gig cards for like 200 for PC...

Yes...yes...yes...broken record...heard this a MILLION times! Just the way it is when owning a Mac (economies of scale).;)

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Some people on the PC forums on gamefaqs said you could use any ATI 5770 card. even the generic brands on New Egg because the drivers will recognize it. those cards are like 100 bucks so that is much cheaper.

they also said there is legally modified drivers so that you could install a bunch of other video cards on the mac.

Since you guys r more mac users, have you heard of anything like this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some people on the PC forums on gamefaqs said you could use any ATI 5770 card. even the generic brands on New Egg because the drivers will recognize it. those cards are like 100 bucks so that is much cheaper.

I'm not 100% sure about this...but if it's true...it would be new info to me...and would be awesome...since I have a 2009 Mac Pro and would love to upgrade my video card more cheaply!:)

they also said there is legally modified drivers so that you could install a bunch of other video cards on the mac.

This is called "flashing". Where the Windows ROM on the Windows version of a video card is replaced with Macintosh ROM to work on a Mac. This is not always 100% successful...and sometimes some incompatibility issues can result. Or when newer versions of software or newer versions of the Mac OS are released...incompatibilities can result. So sometimes it can be a bit risky to install a "flashed" Windows card in a Mac (works today...but maybe not tomorrow).

In fact...the video card on e-Bay that Harry linked earlier in this thread is a "flashed" Windows video card for use on a Mac. That's why it's less expensive than the Macintosh version of the same card.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Out of the box...I'm going to say that it won't work. Why...it's a Windows video card...and does not contain Macintosh rom.

And because...if every Mac Pro owner could buy this card for $131.99...why is everyone paying Apple $249 for the Macintosh version?? Because the Macintosh version works...and the Windows version does not work (out of the box) in compatible Mac Pro's.

There are too many smart Macintosh Mac Pro owners out there...most folks wouldn't pay $249 for something they could get for $131.

Hey...if you want to do an experiment...buy the card, install it, and see if it works. If it does...let us know. If it doesn't...let us know as well...and return the card.:)

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Out of the box...I'm going to say that it won't work. Why...it's a Windows video card...and does not contain Macintosh rom.

And because...if every Mac Pro owner could buy this card for $131.99...why is everyone paying Apple $249 for the Macintosh version?? Because the Macintosh version works...and the Windows version does not work (out of the box) in compatible Mac Pro's.

There are too many smart Macintosh Mac Pro owners out there...most folks wouldn't pay $249 for something they could get for $131.

Hey...if you want to do an experiment...buy the card, install it, and see if it works. If it does...let us know. If it doesn't...let us know as well...and return the card.:)

- Nick

Fair point, but I can not speak for everyone out there but saying Mac Pro owners are smart is a bit of a reach ha. Everyone I know are artistic types and totally not computer literate. I am a computer genius to them.

That would be a worthy experiment but I was thinking why waste the time. I found the card here.

Apple ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit MC742ZM/A B&H

I live in the city so I can just pick it up and not pay shipping. Wouldn't it be smarter anyway to pay like 90 dollars more for a peace of mind? Also I am sure 1st party the card is way quieter and resilient.

Also, is there a HUGE difference btwn this card and the 5870? Will I get be able to unlock that cards fully potential with an early 08 mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.