Renaming logical volume group in disk utility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, OSX 10.7, 2,53, 4GB, Intel 160GB SSD / MacMini, OSX 10.7, 2,66, 4GB, Kingston 240GB SSD
I realise the thing I'm trying to do is nitpicky, but you know what it's like once you get an idea in your head..

My issue is that I cannot find out how to rename the Logical Volume Group in disk utility that the harddisk resides in (see screenshot). Is this possible at all ? Or would I have to do a complete reinstall together with wiping the partitions to get this the way I want?

A9OD1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
Why did you like to change the name using disk utility ?
Go to the disk ore partition you like to change the name .
Get info of the disk CQ partition and change the name in the name field .
It than even change the name in the start up disk option .
I had the impression that most people named there start up disk the Macintosh HD

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, OSX 10.7, 2,53, 4GB, Intel 160GB SSD / MacMini, OSX 10.7, 2,66, 4GB, Kingston 240GB SSD
Why did you like to change the name using disk utility ?
Go to the disk ore partition you like to change the name .
Get info of the disk CQ partition and change the name in the name field .
It than even change the name of in the start up disk option

The disk has already been renamed - it's now called OS X 10.8. What I'm trying to rename is the Mac OS X 10.7 Logical Volume Group name. I'm only referring to disk utility since this is the only place where this name is visible.

For instance, using diskutil this is the output:

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *160.0 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 159.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: Apple_HFS OS X 10.8 *158.9 GB disk1

You can't see the Logical Volume Group name here either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
I do not know what you exactly mean .
If I am thinking about a logical volume group than it will be in terms
/boot
/home
/var

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
from disk utility select (high lite) OS X 10.8, then select the mount button. then exit the disk utility application. you should see the disk (OS X 10.8) mounted on the desk top. double click the OS X 10.8 twice and then you should be able to rename it.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
from disk utility select (high lite) OS X 10.8, then select the mount button. then exit the disk utility application. you should see the disk (OS X 10.8) mounted on the desk top. double click the OS X 10.8 twice and then you should be able to rename it.

I am not trying to rename the disk called OS X 10.8 - I'm trying to rename the one above that - the one that says Mac OS X 10.7. This disk is not visible in finder, through diskutil using terminal, or visible in any other place so far besides disk utility.

To be clear, this is a macbook pro with just one hard disk. I think the issue is that the hard disk is encrypted, with OS X renaming the hard disk brand name when I turned encryption on in Lion . Now that I have upgraded to Mountain Lion on the macbook pro, I want the disk to reflect the OS that it is running.

I have a mac mini running Lion and you can see the difference in the screenshots below:
macbook pro:
A9OD1.jpg

mac mini:
FtajI.jpg

Reaction score
Winsome,

Did you ever figure it out? I need to know how to do the same thing. As far as I can tell I need to Rename the Logical Volume, and need a linux machine to do that.

Did you find a way to do it in OSX?

Reaction score
Figured it out...

I know this is a relatively old thread but I just had this problem and this thread was the first that pops up in a google search.

Here was my solution. Apparently the issue with the two names not syncing is that the volume is encrypted. The answer is so simple I was surprised. First open disk utility. Select the drive you want to rename and erase it but format it as a NON ENCRYPTED drive. The result will be that the logical volume name returns to the factory default. Now you can erase the volume and format it as an encrypted volume and both the logical group and volume name will match.

Reaction score
I resolved it.

After trying to encrypt an empty small partition (unsuccesfully because of small partition size) , the DiskUtil renamed my physical disk as the way it did to you.

From the Terminal I used "diskutil" command. Specifically "diskutil coreStorage" command. Even more: "diskutil coreStorage list" in order to see the "encrypted" partitions. I saw mine: disk0s5 (which was appearing at the top name of my phisical Macbook Air disk).

I wrote down the UUID both of Physical Volume and Logical Volume of this encrypted partition... and try this: "diskutil coreStorage delete BAD14D41-2168-4133-B5CA-C97FF6961D44" (my own UUID of the LOGICAL VOLUME GROUP) and got this:

The Core Storage Logical Volume Group UUID is BAD14D41-2168-4133-B5CA-C97FF6961D44
Started CoreStorage operation
Destroying Logical Volume Group
Erasing disk0s5
Initialized /dev/rdisk0s5 as a 127 MB case-insensitive HFS Plus volume with a 512k journal
Mounting disk
Finished CoreStorage operation

Oilá! I launched again Disk Utility in GUI mode and all return to normal :)

I am not trying to rename the disk called OS X 10.8 - I'm trying to rename the one above that - the one that says Mac OS X 10.7. This disk is not visible in finder, through diskutil using terminal, or visible in any other place so far besides disk utility.

To be clear, this is a macbook pro with just one hard disk. I think the issue is that the hard disk is encrypted, with OS X renaming the hard disk brand name when I turned encryption on in Lion . Now that I have upgraded to Mountain Lion on the macbook pro, I want the disk to reflect the OS that it is running.

I have a mac mini running Lion and you can see the difference in the screenshots below:
macbook pro:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.