Mackeeper - is it worth the $40?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
I'm a Mac newbie with a MacBookPro running Snow Leopard. I run Sophos and MacScan apps every few days, and Maintenance app which I run when the system looks like it's slowing down. Should I also install and use Mackeeper? Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My personal experience from running Mac for the past couple of years, and Linux for nearly 15 years at various stages is that you don't need any anti-virus or anything like that installed. Having a maintenance app is one thing and depending on what it is and if you are actually trying to fix a problem, you might want to run it..

Other than that, just leave things alone and use the system forgetting anything you might have done on a Windows-based machine..

I've been running my iMac now for about 2 years with a time machine backup and I don't run any anti-virus software or clean up software. I never turn off the computer unless I REALLY have to and it's fast all the time..I install/remove apps at my whim and never have had any issues with it..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm a Mac newbie with a MacBookPro running Snow Leopard. I run Sophos and MacScan apps every few days, and Maintenance app which I run when the system looks like it's slowing down. Should I also install and use Mackeeper? Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

We have had many reports here on Mac-Forums from folks having problems with MacKeeper...so I would say it's not worth it.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Consensus around here is that MacKeeper is a terrible piece of junk (see here, here, here and here for example). Save yourself the money and stick to the tools that are free and more than adequate (such as OnyX).

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I think the consensus from the posts I have seen is that it would be well worth $40 to have not made the mistake of installing it in the first place.

C

chas_m

I'm a Mac newbie with a MacBookPro running Snow Leopard. I run Sophos and MacScan apps every few days

Why? Neither one of these apps do anything but waste resources and cause problems. Throw off your Windows chains, comrade, you're on a Mac now and it simply doesn't require that stuff.

Should I also install and use Mackeeper? Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Put simply, no.

Maintenance every few months, regular backups and keeping a significant amount of HD space free is all you need to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.