Connecting external hard drive to Macbook via Billion modem/router

Muk

Reaction score
Hi
I have been using a mackbook pro and billion modem/router (Bipac 7404vnpx) for almost 1-2 years and it has been working very well. Recently i bought WD 2T external hard drive in a hope to attach it to modem/router so that i can stream the movies thru wifi and can watch it on macbook. But doesn't seems to be working and i cant detect the HDD on my laptop. Can anyone please advice me, if there is anything i can do to make it work or will it even work?
Muk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
How have you connected it to your router?

You can only connect a hard disk to the router if it's a NAS drive.

The USB port on this router, according to the user manual, is only for connecting a 3g modem, not a strage device.

OP
M

Muk

Reaction score
Hi mrplow
I have connected HDD using usb to the router.
I dont know what is a NAS drive..... :)
and in the past i had connected my printer (brother MFC) to the modem/router using the usb drive and it worked ok.
I havent tried, but i will try and connect the HDD and Billion modem/router using a ethernet cable.
Do you think it might work, or is there anything else i should be doing.
Thanks
Muk :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
A NAS drive is a strorage device that's designed to be connected directly to a network. Usually you'd connect it directly to the router by Ethernet cable.

Often the USB connection on a NAS drive is an input for attaching additional storage.
If you post the make and model of the disk you bought that would help.

As for your router I can't guess at its undocumented features only the info supplied on the bipac website.

But it's. It uncommon for routers to have a USB connection to connect storage.

If you log into your router you should see a section details the external storage details if it's capable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.