Clicking/Grinding Noise

Reaction score
There is a clicking/grinding noise that happens intermittently in my 4-5 year old macbook 13 inch. It sounds like it is occuring towards the base of the screen around the F4 key. I am thinking maybe the fan is going bad. Does this sound like a plausible diagnosis based on the location of the noise? The computer is running fine. I am using it now.

If it is the fan, can I repair it by myself? I have already replaced the screen once before so I am not a complete newbie on fixing this latop. Can I get a fan for a relatively reasonable price and replace it myself without destroying the computer?

Maybe this is what I need?
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Fan-Assembly-13-NEW-p-17062.html

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Compared to the screen it's pretty straightforward replacement.

iFixit is a good place to start for guides etc

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you. So you agree that it sounds like it is the fan?

The fans are normally located close/under the upper part of the keyboard (F keys)...and are basically the only moving part in that area...so it does sound like the fan may either be worn out (worn out bearings, or needs lubrication of some sort)...or if you're lucky...the fan may only need to be cleaned (shot of compressed air)!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.