"apple" contacted me

Reaction score
Soo friday i was going thru my voicemail, and there was a message on there from someone saying that they work for apple, and that they had seen a thread that i started(on here) about an issue that i was having with my mac. He knew my name, specific mac, specific problem, and he left a email address as one of two ways for for me to contact him, its was a @apple.com email. My first thought was , wow apple is really watching what people say, and then it turn to " this is a scam", because he said "we need to get logs off your computer if possible". Soo i contact apple asking if they could tell me if this person worked for them, they acted like i was crazy and said " sir we dont call customers"... So anyone else ever had this happen to them?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You answered your own question in your post - Apple doesn't patrol the internet and call customers based on what they see.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7 2.2 8GB Ram
Never happened to me but that sounds kinda scary they got your number and knew what you posted on here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Never happened to me but that sounds kinda scary they got your number and knew what you posted on here.

Agreed, kinda creepy... :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I would look into changing your IP address and scanning your mac for Malware possibly but highly unlikely. That is crazy.

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't let one phone call to the general apple number telling me that it wasn't Apple be the definitive proof that it was not. Apple is a big enough corporation to occasionally have the left hand not know what the right is doing. And even though it may be true that generally Apple doesn't contact people, I'm sure there are probably rare exceptions to the policy.

That said, I assume you didn't publish the serial number of your machine? And I don't see that you've made your e-mail address public, so I would REALLY have to wonder how they would have had any idea who you are.

My guess is that someone is pulling your leg.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.