migration asst woes

Reaction score
I bought a new MacBook Pro because my PowerBook G4 is gradually failing. Tried to set up Migration Assistant to bring files over, but my Powerbook has oddly decided to require name and password when I try to turn it on, and my established name/password will not work. At Apple store they said computer will do this as it fails and that Migration Assistant from new computer should be able to override, but I have had no success. New MacBook just reports "looking for Other Computers" endlessly and will not find my attached via Firewire Power Book on OS X.
Am I missing something simple?
Please help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you're trying to boot the old machine up under Target Disk Mode and that it has an EFI Password enabled. You should be able to boot it normally and connect the two machines via Ethernet.

OP
C
Reaction score
migration

No matter how I boot up my Powerbook, it stops at name and password, and seems to have reset them---so I can't get in. Connected by Firewire or independently booted, computer does same thing.

At Apple Store they said following migration assistant instructions with pressing "T" etc as I booted up old computer would override computer and that I would be able to access files etc for transfer. I've tried fifty different variations and actually succeeded in transferring "apps and few files " on hard drive (hard-drive icon appeared on my new desktop), but none of my documents, photos, or itunes--all on old computer--- have ever popped up or been available for transfer.

If I can't get in to my old computer and can't override it to get in, how can I transfer??

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's really odd that it just started doing that out of the blue.

Have you done a PRAM reset yet? Press and hold Command + Option + P + R as soon as you turn the machine one. Let it make its system chime twice and then release.

Worst case scenario, you can pull the drive out, hook it up to a USB adapter (or put it in an external case) and do the transfer from that.

OP
C
Reaction score
migration

Tried the PRAM restart with no success.
Can a civilian do your maneuver of pulling out drive and connecting to USB port of new machine?
Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried the PRAM restart with no success.
Can a civilian do your maneuver of pulling out drive and connecting to USB port of new machine?
Thanks!

Yeah, it shouldn't be terribly difficult. The only thing you have to decide on is whether you want to purchase a USB adapter or a case to mount the drive into. Here's some options:

External case for 2.5" IDE hard disk:
Newegg.com - Rosewill RX81U-ES-25B 2.5" IDE to USB 2.0 External Enclosure

USB adapter for internal hard drives:
Newegg.com - Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2

You can go either way... the external case is handy if you don't intend to reinstall that drive in the old machine. The USB adapter is handy in situations where you may at times need to access drives that would be internally installed. It's more of a tool than a permanent fixture.

Assuming you have a 15" PowerBook G4, removing the drive is described here:

Installing PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15" 1.67 GHz Hard Drive - iFixit

The process may vary depending on your specific model (you can change the model and see guides for your specific unit).

It really isn't all that difficult of a process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.