broken Finder, Lion 10.7.3

Reaction score
I have the Combined update 10.7.3 to Lion, installed on 2/8/12.
Two problems:
1. Finder is broken. Either it doesn't open at all, or I get the "Restore windows" or "Don't restore windows" dialog. But neither button in the dialog works, and Finder does not open.
I have removed Users/username/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.finder.savedState, which gets rid of the Restore/Don'tRestore dialog, but Finder still doesn't work.

2. Desktop icons are constantly flashing.

Both these issues started after I had used iPhoto for the first time. Is there any connection?

Is there a fix that doesn't involve reloading the entire OS?
Thanks for any help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before reinstalling let's run a test: Create another account for testing purposes and give it admin privileges. Log on to the test account. Is the Finder normal or is the same thing happening?

OP
T
Reaction score
Finder is OK with a different account. And no flashing icons with the other account. So it's specific to just the original account.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That tells us the original account is corrupt. What you can do is copy everything from your user folder to the new account. Once you verify that all your apps, settings, and documents are OK in the new account, you can remove the old one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.