Bootcamp Running Windows 7 (32bit) will randomly not startup, and randomly start up!

Reaction score
I have windows 7 installed on my Macbook Pro, and I installed windows 7 on the bootcamp. sometimes I go to startup as windows and it just wont startup it just has a grey screen for a while then switches to a black screen forever until i hold down the power button to shut it off. I dont know why its doing this because it will do this randomly like ill try it and it wont work then ill wake up the next morning and it does work. does anyone have any idea why this is or have any advice as to how to fix it.?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have windows 7 installed on my Macbook Pro, and I installed windows 7 on the bootcamp. sometimes I go to startup as windows and it just wont startup it just has a grey screen for a while then switches to a black screen forever until i hold down the power button to shut it off. I dont know why its doing this because it will do this randomly like ill try it and it wont work then ill wake up the next morning and it does work. does anyone have any idea why this is or have any advice as to how to fix it.?

I've noticed that at times - particularly during boot up after a Windows update - Win7 will sort of "hang" at a black screen. On a regular PC, you would just leave it alone because you'd see the flashing hard disk light and that the power light is on. Of course, Macs don't have those kinds of indicators, so it just looks like nothing is happening and you hard power it down.

The trouble is, hard powering it down can cause corruption in the file system, making it even worse the next time you go to boot Windows 7. And of course, subsequently forcing it to power down can exacerbate the problem.

The thing to do if this happens is to *let it sit for a minute* before you manually intervene. And of course, now that you have a problem, you should probably run a Disk Check within Windows. The next time you go to start it up and it actually comes up, do the following:

1. Click the Start menu and go to Programs => Accessories
2. Right-click on Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator"
3. Type the following command into the prompt:

chkdsk c: /R

4. It will tell you it needs to reboot to run CHKDSK. Do so now, and be sure to start in Windows.
5. It will take a while to run the disk check, but let it proceed and it should find and correct any errors.
6. The next time it boots slowly, just let it sit for a minute or two before you hard power it down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.