My new (to me at least) TiBook

J

JSchultz

I ended up buying my buddies Rev. A TiBook off of him. Cosmetic condition is 9/10. Thing looks mint, due to the fact that he merely bought it to "see what OSX was all about". He said he used it maybe 20 times over the 4 years or so he's had it. Hinges are perfect, ZERO paint flaking, and screen is perfect as well.

400 mhz/10/256

Yeah, it has a small hard drive. I'm actually thinking of putting in a 5400 rpm 40 gb drive soon. I'm also maxing the ram out to 1 gb. This thing runs Tiger surprisingly well. I can't believe it's not choking at all. Same thing with Office X. No hiccups.

And no, I'm not concerned with the lower resolution. I thought 1152 x 768 would look like total arse, but it looks fine on this mega wide 15.2" screen. I love this screen so so so much. WAYY better than the 12" screens. So crystal clear! Anyways...sorry for the crappy pic!

422463_35_full.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram
Thats one of the things I love about macs.Even on slow hardware, they don't show slowdowns nearly as clearly as pcs. In general, they may be slower than a faster mac, but they are still smooth so you don't notice it as mcuh. I used to use a g4 400 system with 256MB of ram at school and it ran jaguar just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
get the bigger hard drive in, max out the ram and turn dashboard off and you new TiPB will be smoking!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
inflexion said:
get the bigger hard drive in, max out the ram and turn dashboard off and you new TiPB will be smoking!
How do you turn Dashboard off?

OP
J

JSchultz

That's a good question..how DO you turn it off? I have one widget on there (weather) which I could bare to lose. 10.4's best feature to me is spotlight. Otherwise, I'd be on panther.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Congrats on the purhcase! It looks identical to mine! haha.. Once you get Tiger onto it, you'll notice that it will run faster.

OP
M

menace3054

Discerptor said:
How do you turn Dashboard off?
To turn Dashboard off: in terminal

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

To turn Dashboard on:

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean NO

OP
J

JSchultz

punkr0x0r said:
Congrats on the purhcase! It looks identical to mine! haha.. Once you get Tiger onto it, you'll notice that it will run faster.

ah, but i DO have tiger on it!

Like i said, it's snappy for everyday use. internet, iChat...etc.

I'm loving this megawide screen!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
JSchultz said:
I'm loving this megawide screen!

oh dude.. that was one of the main reasons I got this one... the 15" widescreen is amazing!.. hehe, influenced me to getting a 19" widescreen for my gaming/media center PC, and getting rid of the two 17" CRT's I have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.